Review: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

We have waited nine years and it is finally here: the eighth story of Harry Potter, The Cursed Child. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the official script book of the original play written by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany. Fans had different opinions about the book – always keeping in mind that it is a script – and we have some thoughts to share about the “older” Harry, Hermione, Ron and Malfoy (and their children, of course).

The first Harry Potter story to be presented on stage – the play premiered on July 30th – shows us Harry as an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband (he is married to Ginny) and father of three school-age children (Tiago Sirius Potter, Albus Severus Potter and Lily Luna Potter). However, while he grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.

It was a smart move from Rowling and the other writers to explore the Harry and Albus’ father-son relationship – it is a conflict between generations that many people can relate to. Somehow they found a way to keep the “old” readers interested (since many of them are adults now, and maybe have kids) and call the attention of the now generation. At some points of the story, Albus reminds Harry at his age. The father’s attempt to fix their relation may seem like a way of life reconciliation found by the old Potter.

We can see in the new story what happened to our dear characters, which is great. Hermione has became a powerful woman as the Minister of Magic, Gina is a sport journalist and Neville is teaching at Hogwarts. However, one of ours biggest surprise was Draco Malfoy. He is no longer a spoiled annoying boy, just like we saw him most of the times in the older books. Now, he is a husband and Scorpius’ father, the play’s co-protagonist.

If Harry is having problems with Albus, Draco is also having them with Scorpius. His son is nothing what he expected: Scorpius is sweet boy, a nerd and not popular at all. However, their relation showed us how that Draco had grown up and is a better person than his father was.

Well, we are happy for Draco, but the same thing did not happened for Ron. Actually, we almost cannot recognize him. His character was not much explored and it seems he is now just the guy who tells unfunny jokes. Moreover, it is a bit hard to see how he and Hermione can be a happy couple as it is in the story.

Now talking about new characters, we thought that one of them in particularly, Delphi (no spoilers!), should have participated more due to the importance that she acquires during the script. Strong and determinate, the mysterious girl enters the scene at the beginning and at the end of the play and is a key to solve the enigma. 

Some points of the story can disappoint, but we really enjoyed the fact the authors heard the fans: much of what we love and even theories that rounded the fandom for years were used to create the eight story. Therefore, while reading, we could not help to feel a warmth in our hearts. All because even after all this time, Harry Potter and their friends will always be with us.

Anna is a 21 year old from Sao Paulo, Brazil, who studies Journalism at Casper Libero University. She’s currently the Editor in Chief of Her Campus CL's Chapter and is pretty obsessed with fashion, beauty and (trashy) reality TV shows. 
Alana Claro

Casper Libero '17

Alana is a Senior in Cásper Líbero University, majoring in Journalism. She is President of Casper Libero's Chapter and an intern in a Corporate Communications firm. Born and raised in Sao Paulo, where she speaks Portuguese, although English is her ever-lasting love. Alana is a proud Slytherin and INTJ.