Returning to Panem: Here is everything we know about the movie adaptation of “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

This year, we will return to Panem with another adaptation of the books by the writer Suzanne Collins. The famous trilogy The Hunger Games will feature the new movie The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. But this time, we are going back to the past to understand a little more of the history of the bloodthirsty President Snow. Therefore, Her Campus gathered the main points we already know about the film to make you even more excited for this feature.

Will we see Katniss Everdeen again?

As we’ll have another chapter of the story in which the main protagonist was Katniss Everdeen, it is normal to think that Jennifer Lawrence will return for the role. But the answer is no. The story takes place 60 years before the events of the original trilogy. However, that doesn’t mean we won’t see some characters known to the public – the protagonist himself is very familiar to fans.

What is the story about?

In a post-war scenario with the beginning of the regime divided by Districts and the Capital, the young Coriolanus Snow seeks ways to honor the family surname again. After conflicts and rebellions, his family lost all fortune and is even trying to maintain the appearance of what was once their last name. The 18-year-old young man has dreams of greatness.

For this, Coriolanus realizes that he needs to stand out in front of his colleagues at the Academy. That’s when the opportunity arises for him to participate in the 10th edition of The Hunger Games as a mentor to one of the districts’ tributes. The tribute destined for Snow is Lucy Gray, a simple girl from District 12. Even though he doubts Lucy’s abilities, the young man studies strategies to win in the best way.

Will we have familiar names in the cast?

The film, directed and produced by Francis Lawrence – the same director of the three films in the franchise -, will bring a diverse and new cast. Hunter Schafer, an actress best known for her role as Jules in the Euphoria series, will play Tigris Snow, cousin of Coriolanus. Peter Dinklage, one of the greats names of the Game of Thrones series, will be Casca Highbottom, director of the Academy and known as the creator of The Hunger Games.

Viola Davis will also be in the cast as Dr. Volumnia Gaul, director of the 10th Edition of The Games. The roles of Lucy Gray and the protagonist Snow are in the hands of Rachel Zegler (West Side Story) and Tom Blyth (Billy the Kid). Other names in the cast are: Josh Andrés Rivera, Jason Schwartzman, Jerome Lance, Ashley Liao, Knox Gibson, Mackenzie Lansing and Aamer Husain.

When will the movie be released?

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, inspired by the book of the same name, will hit theaters on November 17th of this year. So, until then, there’s plenty of time for you to read the novel and get even more excited for the adaptation. After all, the author Suzanne Collins herself participated in the executive production and script of the film, so we can expect a feature very faithful to the book.

Watching the trailer’s few minutes, we can already see that the saga will follow the tone of chilling the public until the last second, discovering who is a songbird and who is a snake. Check it out:

👯‍♀️ Related: What can we expect from the female characters in this new MCU phase?

————————-

The article above was edited by Juliana Sanches.

Like this type of content? Check out Her Campus Cásper Líbero for more.

Gianne Oliveira

Casper Libero '24

22 years Journalism student at Cásper Líbero Great passion for music, art and books