Style > Fashion

Proud Momma! How Rihanna Is Changing Maternity Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Talented and remarkable in so many ways, the artist has been a reference for pregnant people. In late January, the singer Rihanna revealed her pregnancy to fans, and everybody went crazy! Expecting her first child – a result of the relationship with the rapper A$AP Rocky –, there was a lot of expectation about her looks and appearances in the media and at events.

The singer, songwriter, actress, and businesswoman has a strong connection with fashion. It’s not a coincidence that, over the last few years, she has been dedicated almost full-time to this universe, focusing on her brand and personal style.

The Mom of the Year never disappoints! Although there is a misrepresented idea about pregnancy, as if we had to hide and renounce our identity, personality, and sensuality, Rihanna hasn’t been affected by conservatism and stereotypes. In response, she has been creating, innovating, and making her mark wherever she goes.

Let’s be honest, could you imagine her wearing other looks like a pregnant woman? Seen as a reference in fashion, Riri bets on prints, colors, textures, transparency, shine, lingerie, expensive-looking jewelry/accessories, and a lot of glamor. 

And, of course, she has inspired many mothers around the world, proving that there’s no difference between clothes for pregnant and non-pregnant people. There’s no reason to get rid of cutouts, lashings, necklines, and other clothes that value our body and curves. The only requirement should be prioritizing comfort and well-being; the other choices are 100% free.

The singer talked about it in an interview to the international portal The Bustle: “It’s been me personally saying, I’m not going to buy maternity clothes. I’m not gonna buy maternity pants, jeans, dresses, or [do] whatever society told me to before. When I saw women dress during their pregnancy [in the past], I’d think that was the only way. So, I challenged myself to push it further and really just have fun with [maternity style]”.

Her position about it is very important and, in a way, revolutionary, although she’s not the first celebrity to break with these standards. By the way, it’s impossible not to think about the couple Rihanna and A$AP Rocky when talking about breaking the patterns, since they are an extremely stylish couple, and, together, they are one of the most influential black artists today, bringing representation, geniality, art, concept, and complaints, in many ways, even through fashion. Simply iconic!

On February 11, during the event of her brand “Fenty”, in Los Angeles, the businesswoman revealed,

“I do feel very beautiful – it’s from inside. All these changes that your body is going through is because you’re creating this person, this life!”.

And that’s undeniable! She inspires beauty, self-esteem, confidence and seems to be living one of the most beautiful and happy moments of her entire life. 

There’s no denying: everyone is anxious for the coming of “Baby Fenty”, as her child has been affectionately called. Brazilian fans even want her to give birth in Brazil, while Rihanna will be here with Rocky for his performance at Lollapalooza. Could her travel, somehow, influence the baby’s style – and hers? We’d love to be part of it!

Bárbara Vetos

Casper Libero '23

A latin american journalism student who talks about politics when she can - and when she cannot :)