The Other Side of Sorocaba: More than the City Hosting JUCA this Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Juca will be a good opportunity to meet new people and celebrate. It will be a giant integration during four days (26/05 to 29/05). It will happen in Sorocaba this year, one of the cities in the countryside of Sao Paulo.  Having contact with the city, the touristic points, are some of the things the event provides. Take a time to know Sorocaba better.

The Botanic Garden Villas-Boas brothers is a choice for those who want to be in contact with nature and see how beautiful and how much species of plants our biomes have. They are preserved in this space to be seen by the visitors and to be instrumental of studies. The indoor gardens in the Cristal Palace are composed by plants from Cerrado (type of Savanna), Tropical Forest, Arid Environments and Japanese Garden.

The Rose Garden was made in a sun format; there are twelve rays and it shelters rose species.

The seat of the city hall of Sorocaba is installed in a building called Palácio dos Tropeiros. Tropeiros was the ones who conduct troops of horses and mules that make the transport of commodities and cattle. Sorocaba was part of their route. The city celebrates the Tropeada, a party to remember this movement that occurred in the past.

In the moment of inauguration of the building, the society from Sorocaba rejected it, because of the magnificence, the higher cost. However, it has changed and now is considered one of the most beautiful acquisitions of Sorocaba.

It is historical heritage that attracts lots of people. The hanging garden and the panoramic elevator give the pleasure of seeing the city from the top. It is a wonderful place to take a rest. It is surrounded by an artificial lake with a fountain, race ground and playground with gardens.

The Railway Museum preserves the history of the construction of the railway that makes the distance between Sao Paulo and Sorocaba shorter. It brought the local production to the capital. There are photos, machines and objects founded in the railway in the past.

These are opportunities to walk with friends, have fun and know Sorocaba better and understand better its history.  People can relax without paying and make different activities as they used to do in Sao Paulo.

To be healthy during these four days, it is necessary having periods to feed you. People say that the breakfast is the most important meal during the day. If it reinforced, you will have energy for all the day. The Real Bakery is one of the choices that you will find delicious and appetizing foods. Cakes, pies, savory snacks that awake hunger.]

If you want to have a different moment in a special and rustic place, Café da Vila (Village Cafe) is a restaurant know to be a bistro bar, the artisan foods is the specialty, made with little details, so in the end we have a gourmet dish.  The colorful drinks call the attention and make us curious.

Fruits Cocktails are prepared with guava, pomegranate, orange, mango and the other with pineapple, green apple, lemon and vodka. The restaurant describes it as a wonderful choice in the hot days.

What to say about the color of the drink made with Pitaya?! It’s amazing! It can be tasted by all publics, even the ones that don’t drink alcohol. The savor is a mixture of lemon juice, mint, sparkling water and pitaya juice.

As an option for the dinner, Frankie e Jay is a restaurant that plays rock in roll, inspired in the American style. You can find a big diversity of vinyl, national and international beers. On the menu, we can choose one of the hamburgers.

Hi! I am a journalism student. I am in love with the English and French language, that's the reason I am doing courses to improve them.I love to be in contact with different people and talk about any subject.One of my biggest passion is to travel around the world, visit places that reflects the history of other civilizations. I am always searching for new projects, learrning is something that make us increase our horizon.The journalism is a good opportunity to hear inspiring stories!
Alana Claro

Casper Libero '17

Alana is a Senior in Cásper Líbero University, majoring in Journalism. She is President of Casper Libero's Chapter and an intern in a Corporate Communications firm. Born and raised in Sao Paulo, where she speaks Portuguese, although English is her ever-lasting love. Alana is a proud Slytherin and INTJ.