self-love
self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Is One Kiss Really All It Takes? 5 Short Love Stories Told By Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

On June 12, we have the Brazilian Valentine’s Day celebration. On this day, all social medias are flooded with cute images of couples, videos of commemorative surprises and even new dating requests. And often a great curiosity comes: how did they meet? We tend to imagine that it was in a very romantic way and that the couple struggled to stay together, as we see in romantic and high school movies. But it’s not always like that.

Inspired by the Modern Love series of The New York Times podcast, which tells some real love stories, we separated five stories of how some couples met. The stories are told by me following the reports of the interviewees.

THATYA

I’m a pedagogy student and started interning at a school. On my first day, a teacher suddenly appeared in my classroom and took my students to his class, without introducing himself or even saying anything. As I was new there, I didn’t understand very well and only accompanied the children. Then, I found out that the guy was the Physical Education teacher. The kids always told us that he and I should date and always put us together in class. We are very close in age, I believe that is why the children thought we were a good couple.

We got closer over the time, but we always kept a professional relationship. One day we were talking about films, he asked why I didn’t invite him to the movies. I confess that I was a little surprised by the question, so I asked him out. We watched Jurassic Park 2 and kissed during the movie. I thought that it wouldn’t mean anything, because he looked a little snobby and I thought that he wouldn’t want anything with me.

We dated for two months and the children seemed to know that we were together even though no one at school knew. They always told us that they were our children and that they wanted to go to our wedding. Eventually, we told the truth and the students found out. They are very fond of us and everything is very reciprocal. We have already traveled and we are making a lot of plans together.

LARISSA

On the day I met my current girlfriend, I was asking my ex-girlfriend out. It was through the Athletics of my university that we met. She studied during the day and because of a surgery, she had to move to the night period, which I was in. After class, we always went to a bar with friends and, consequently, we started to talk more, but without ulterior motives, since I was already in a relationship. We also played online games and we knew each other even more.

As soon as I was single I found out that she had been interested in me since the first time we met, and that she was very upset when she saw me asking another girl out. I’m part of the university’s drums group and it was at one of its parties that we kissed for the first time. She always let me free and I think that was what made me want to be with her. This girl has also always supported me playing in the group and in the samba school that I belong to, which are very important things for me.

We have been dating for a year and we have a shared bank account, where we are saving money to live together and also, in the future, to be able to do artificial insemination and build a family.

GIULIA

Two friends and I went to a play called “Macumba Antropófoga”. The play is characteristic for having a lot of interaction between the cast and the audience. At the beginning, the actors mixed with the audience and together we made a human chain. One of the actors stood in front of me and I knew I had seen him somewhere. Then I found out that it was in another play that I watched, called “Bacantes”.

Being part of the art universe, I threw myself into the experience of the play. He and I interacted a lot while holding hands. It was part of the play to make a procession outside the theater and throughout the path we kept an eye on each other. The play lasts an average of six hours and this time was filled by exchanging looks, smiles and, of course, a lot of flirting!

When the performance was over, I stayed with my friends waiting for him so I could ask his name at least. But since it was already late at night and he didn’t show up, we decided to leave. I really wanted to know who was that man who had drawn my attention so much, then my friend remembered that at one point in the play, one of the actors had asked us to make an intervention on Twitter and it was there that I met him. I added him on Facebook and we started talking. We have been together for 2 years.

SABRINA

I met my boyfriend at a college party. I went with a friend and he was there with his group of friends. We kissed, but at the time I was with another guy who, by the way, was very rude and took me away from the group. I ended up never seeing this guy again. After that, I couldn’t remember the face of the boy I saw at the party (my current boyfriend), and how he looked like. I just remembered it had been incredible.

A while passed and I recognized him on the bus going to class. I kept my eyes on him to see if he recognized me but it didn’t happen. I found him in the library and sat across from him, but again, not a sigh of him looking back at me. Nowadays he says he doesn’t remember me at that time.

About four months passed and I had already given up. I was giving a temporary home to a dog that used to flee a lot and in one of these escapes my neighbor managed to get him back and said he had the help of “Rinite” which means “Rhinitis” (in my college it is normal for people to have different nicknames). I kept that name in my head so that one day I could thank him.

One day, my shower burned and I posted an Instagram story looking for who could help me fix it. And who appeared? Him! And I ended up discovering that he was Rinite. We found out that we are neighbors and that’s when it started. We stayed together for a long time, we broke up, we dated other people, but we were always close to each other. Now we are back together and we’re also making plans to travel and live together

CAROL

I met my girlfriend at school. She and I were part of a group of seven friends, but we were not very close because we had very different thoughts.

In 2018, we went to the street carnival and I really wanted to kiss her, but she was a little reluctant but, in the end, we ended up kissing. I even said: “I think we are still going to date”. Later, on the same day, we laid on the floor, kissed and looked at the stars. For a while, we decided to have an open relationship, but I was avoiding being with other people. One day, she was with a guy and I was really upset. So we decided it would be just the two of us.

We dated for a year and two months and I decided to break up. We were separated for ten months, but we were always together. After a while just as friends, we saw that it wasn’t going to work and we started dating again. I’m completely in love with her and so is she with me. I know we are still going to be a very happy family.

————————————————————————————————————-

The article above was edited by Yasmin Altaras, and translated by Giovanna Favero.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Silchya Rodrigues

Casper Libero '20

Hello! My name is Silchya Rodrigues and I am a journalism student at Faculdade Cásper Líbero. I am a militant of the black movement and have worked at the Africásper Collective for three years. I am interested in all matters.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.