“Ninguém Me Ensinou”: What The New Lagum Song Represents For The Band

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

On October 2, the brazilian pop band Lagum released the single “Ninguém Me Ensinou”, together with it’s videoclip. At first, it might seem just like any other regular success of the band, but this song is more than just a great melody. Connected to the recent death of Tio Wilson, Lagum’s drummer, on September 12, the song conquered a deep meaning for the band and all the fans. Its video, produced specially because of it, will surely make some tears run down your face.  

Who was Tio Wilson?

To understand more about this tribute, it’s essential to start knowing a little bit about the person who motivated it’s release. Breno Braga Batista was born on December 4th, 1986, in Contagem (MG), and was the last member to join Lagum, in 2016, as a drummer. Before that, he had already worked with other groups, but Lagum was the most “dynamical”, authentic one. He was also the oldest member of it – that’s why people called him “Tio” (which in portuguese stands for “uncle”), as an affectionate way to make fun of his age towards the other younger members: Pedro Calais, Otávio Cardoso (“Zani”), Francisco Jardim (“Chico”) and Glauco Borges (“Jorge”). Tio Wilson was married for seven years to Ellen Cassim, who publicly announced on October 7 that they were having a baby. 

On September 12, Lagum had two drive-in concerts scheduled to happen in Nova Lima, the first ones since the beginning of the pandemic. The tickets for the first gig, at 21:00, sold out in a minute, so they opened a new one at 23:00. During the break between the concerts, Tio Wilson had a discomfort and faced some health complications. He had a cardiac arrest, and died before the ambulance got there. “He died doing what he loved the most”, said Pedro, the lead singer, during an interview. Since then, many singers and family members have published messages on social media, mourning about what occurred. 

Behind “Ninguém Me Ensinou” Release

During the quarantine period, the band released two singles: “Hoje Eu Quero Me Perder”, on March 20, and “Será”, on June 19, featuring the singer Iza. Both of them were connected to an upcoming album, that hasn’t been officially announced with more details yet but was already confirmed by the band members, and has already been recorded.
That’s where “Ninguém Me Ensinou” comes from. This and other songs yet to be released are recorded with Tio Wilson still playing drums. Among all of them, that was his favorite one.

With that in mind, the other members of Lagum, as a way to show how the drummer will always be a mark in their path, decided to release this song not only as a single from the album, but as a tribute to Tio Wilson’s work and friendship during the four years he spent with them as a group. “Being with Tio was like being in an oasis”, said Pedro Calais about him.

The video, produced specially to be a tribute, features members of his family and many videos of funny moments of Tio Wilson during concerts and in the backstages. It’s also truly emotional to hear some audios he sent to the band and see the other band members playing drums, just like he used to. In the oficial Lagum profile on Instagram, they said how meaningful it was for all of them and how it defines the moment everyone was living: “Each one will interpret it in a different way, but it’s really crazy how it fits perfectly to any of us during this moment”.

A song, a video and a loving memory

More than just a great song with a beautiful video, “Ninguém Me Ensinou” represents the eternal memory of Tio Wilson inside and out Lagum. With four years of work in the band, 25 songs released and a whole life of histories with his family, wife and friends, Breno Braga conquered everyone’s heart with his kind, funny and outgoing way of enjoying life. He had “a hurry” to exist, and, although “Ninguém Me Ensinou” lyric wasn’t written inspired in this situation, it fits perfectly as a musical memory of Tio Wilson in Lagum’s history. 

After all, this release was a way to thank Tio Wilson for all the special moments with the band, which the fans loved to see. That’s how the video clip ends: with a text expressing a message of gratefulness from Pedro, Zani, Chico and Jorge. “If there’s something that Tio taught us well it’s the importance of thanking and recognizing those who encourages our dreams. Therefore, this song is dedicated to all his fans, friends and family, that somehow contributed for all of this to come true.” 

——————————————————————

The article above was edited by Giulia Gianolla.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Journalist who relates to more Taylor Swift songs than she should and have more Star Wars posters than her bedroom walls can fit.