This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

If 10 months ago, someone said New York’s Governor, Andrew Cuomo, would be now one of the worst rulers in the world, no one would believe it. The reason why is a movie worthy “plot twist”. Given that, in the beginning of the pandemic, Mr. Cuomo was considered a model of communication due to his daily briefings. But, within this time, the Governor lost his image as a hero, to earn one as a villain.

The catastrophe in Cuomo’s life started in January, when accusations regarding the omission of the real numbers of elders killed by the corona virus started to pop up. And the turnaround became even bigger when Lindsey Boylan, a former aide of his, declared that the Governor sexually harassed her and she was followed by several other women. These denunciations culminated in calls for him to resign and in an impeachment inquiry.

Conducting the pandemic

It was in the beginning of 2020 that the Covid-19 affected the United States population just like the rest of the world. While Donald Trump, USA president at the time, minimized the effects of the virus, New York’s Governor, Andrew M. Cuomo, saw his image standing out.

In the midst of the crisis, Mr. Cuomo became kind of a national hero to his population. His daily briefings informing the rates of infection, hospital beds availability and deaths were broadcasted on TV, which gave out an honest and reliable image for those who were watching. This way, the New York’s Governor enhanced the status of the anti-Trump, who was responsible for “the greatest failure to detect an enemy attack since Pearl Harpor” according to Andrew Cuomo himself.

Governor since 2011, the son of the former Governor Mario M. Cuomo achieved, at that moment, his highest rates of popularity since he assumed the role. Obsessed with his image, Cuomo even wrote a book called “American Crisis: Leadership Lessons from the Covid-19 Pandemic”, about his leadership in such situation and constantly bragged about his good work during the calamity.

The data omission

The tables started turning in January 2021 , when the democrat Letitia James accused the government of divulging only 60% of the elder’s deaths caused by the virus in nursery homes. The remaining 40% contained the ones who were transferred to hospitals before dying.

Previously, in March of 2020, Cuomo determined that the seniors recovering from Covid could return to those nursing homes. The decision was criticized and called imprudent, so in May he revoked it.

It all turned out to be worse when aides revealed that the real number had been occulted to avoid judgements from opposition, such as Trump. The total of deaths covered up surpassed 9,000.

If Cuomo’s rise was a consequence of his transparency, the lack of it was the cause of his fall. Or, at least, the beginning of it.

Harassment accusations 

“Andrew Cuomo abused his power as Governor to sexually harass me, just as he had done with so many other women.” That’s what his former aide, Lindsey Boylan declared in an essay published at the end of February on medium, where she says he suggested: “Let’s play strip poker”, and constantly tried to touch her. Sooner, the democrat, who is now running for Manhattan Borough President, on December 13, had already tweeted denouncing how she feels disrespected by him.

Ms. Boylan’s accusations opened the floodgates for many others, and Charlotte Bennet’s are one of those. Ms. Bennet’s allegations came public, a few days after Lindsey Boylan’s essay, in an interview with The New York Times, in which she declared that “felt horribly uncomfortable and scared” when the Governor asked her inappropriate questions, such as if she slept with older men.

About the denunciations of his former aide, “it’s just not true” Cuomo said. In counterpart, he accuses Ms. Boylan of gathering with his opponents to destroy his image.

The last arraignment came on March 19, when an employee of the Capitol, Alyssa McGrath, came forward by telling the harassment suffered by her and a co-worker from Mr. Cuomo. Ever since she started working with him, she has seen herself at the shoes of a sexually harassed victim. Therefore, “I have no doubt in my mind that all of these accusers are telling the truth” she said.

Intimidating sexual questions, inappropriate gropes, disrespectful looks, unwanted kisses, improper hints and unfit compliments. Those are the main complaints about New York’s Governor denounced by at least 8 women, until now.

Impeachment inquiry and calls for him to resign 

The allegations concerning the hiding deaths caused by the Covid-19 and the assault on multiple women have resulted in the opening of an impeachment inquiry, investigated by the New York State attorney general Letitia James. “I think he’ll probably end up being prosecuted.” President Biden declared. The inquiry may take months to conclude. But, if materialized, the impeachment would be the first in New York in more than a century.

Meanwhile, the calls for him to resign are growing, including among ones that are part of his Party.  Cuomo still refuses to leave power, but many believe that Ms. James will leave him no choice but to drop the bone.

The same Andrew Cuomo that a few months ago was exalted for his constant pronouncements and leadership, now seems astonished and unpowerful, just like a villain at the end of the movie. Perhaps, he should read his own book.

———————————————————————-

The article above was edited by Carolina Rodrigues.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Júlia Polo

Casper Libero '24

A journalist in the making who likes to talk about politics, fashion, soccer and whatever it´s aloud.