More Than “Envolver”: How Brazil Gained Recognition In Music Through The Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

From MBP to Funk, each Brazilian music genre carries a big personality inspired by its culture and ways of life.

Nowadays, we can witness Anitta holding the record of being the most listened-to Latin artist in the world, but a lot had to happen before we got all that space in the cultural industry.

Among all of the incredibles artists we have in Brazil, in this article we gathered six artists that helped Brazil reach a global sphere, giving opportunities for national artists to shine.

CARMEN MIRANDA

Born in Portugal, Carmen Miranda lived and loved Brazil since she was a year old. The singer, actress, and dancer was known as “Brazilian Bombshell”, becoming famous for her powerful voice and remarkable talent.

After she was set in the US singing in casinos, she entered Hollywood – in which she became the best-payed actress in that setting.

Carmen was the first south-American to be honored with a star in Hollywood’s Hall Of Fame. 

TOM JOBIM

The songwriter, pianist, singer, and violinist Antonio Carlos Jobim had musicality running through his veins. Being one of the writers of the Brazilian cultural anthem “Garota de Ipanema”, Tom produced and recorded many hits that became timeless and iconic.

He is one of the founders of a Brazilian musical style that became known as bossa nova, blossoming in the late ’50s.

Internationally, Jobim made features with famous American singers like Frank Sinatra. He received 1 Grammy award, 5 Grammy nominations, and a “Lifetime Achievement Award” as a post-death tribute.

Roberto Carlos

Roberto Carlos is known as the “King” of Brazilian romantic music, leading a musical wave called “Jovem Guarda”, popular in the sixties.

The singer won 38 awards between 54 international nominations, including Record of the Year on Latin Grammys and Best Latin Pop Album Grammy. Carlos was the most listened-to artist internationally in 2015, standing now behind Alok and Astrud Gilberto.

Ivete Sangalo

Ivete Sangalo is a singer, writer, multi instrumentist, actress, and TV host. She started singing in Banda Eva but soon started her solo career. While at it, Ivete sold more than 15 million records all over Brazil.

Internationally, Ivete made songs partnered with Shakira – amongst many others – to spread and celebrate Axé, her most common musical genre. The singer performed at Madison Square Garden to 15 thousand people: a major step for the Brazilian cultural industry.

ALOK

Alok is a Brazilian DJ, being ranked as the 4th most influential rapper in the present time by DJMag. His parents are both DJs as well, but his name started getting bigger than any other artist in that business – and it keeps growing.

He was, until Anitta’s explosion with “Envolver”, the most listened-to artist on Spotify. With popular tracks like ‘Hear me Now’ and ‘Fuego’, the artist gathered more than 19 million monthly listeners on that platform.

Anitta

Brazil’s pop diva has been breaking barriers and records – and nothing seems enough for her. Being the first Brazilian to perform on Jimmy Fallon’s “The Tonight Show”, Anitta is a singer and businesswoman that started in Brazilian Funk but is taking the world with pop, pop-rock, hip hop, and Latin music like reggaeton.

Also, Anitta performed at Coachella in its last edition, taking Brazilian culture and sounds to the stage. Amongst a lot of her conquers, a song featuring Madonna and performing in VMA show how far Brazil and its rich music genres have come in the industry.

———————————————

The article above was edited by Lívia Carvalho

Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Casper Libero for more!

Gabriela Antualpa

Casper Libero '25

Journalism student, passionate about writing ever since I touched a book for the first time. Always interested in learning new things and - most of all - talking and writing about them. Contact me here: gabrielantualpa@gmail.com