Love Yourself: “Love” Season 2 Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

“If you can’t love yourself. How in the hell you gonna love somebody else?”, says RuPaul. If Mickey could understand it (and put in practise), we possible could not have hope for a third Season of “Love”, the Netflix original

At season one we are introduced to two different worlds that collide. Mickey is a cool girl, that follows no rules and lives her life to the full – no matter how old she is. Gus is a nerd that was never successful with girls and is in a relationship that he never wants to end – but eventually it does. The cliche way that Mickey and Gus get to know each other could result in another romantic TV show that tries to teach us how to deal with people’s differences, thinking about how “opposites attract”. But it absolutely does not happen. 

As we watch “Love”, especially Season 2, we can notice how this stereotypes are, actually, full of problems and situations that we go through everyday in any relationship. The lack of emotion, alcohol and drugs problems to escape from a reality that keeps holding us, the way we behave when we get to know someone new and decide to do everything different (just to pass the best image as possible), the anxiety to receive a message. Everything, and more, is in the series, shown at the TV as realistic as possible. 

It is funny to notice that at Season 1 almost every TV spectator hates Gus, that have zero social abilities or attitude to deal with life situations. He is the “sucker” that could not even manage to give private lessons to a teenage actress. At the same time, Mickey is a strong and decisive woman, that is searching for her sexual freedom and the pleasures of life, without thinking about responsibilities. However, the best thing is to get to notice how this constructions get unmake during the episodes. 

When we make it to the Season 2, Mickey is the one that’s got more haters than ever, as the audience does not understand the decisions that the character makes and expects to watch a perfect romance. However, the series is about two “fucked up” people, looking for a peace of mind that they can not find in themselves. 

Seasons 1 and 2 of “Love” are available at Netflix. Will the streaming soon get a Season 3?

Julya Vendite

Casper Libero

Quanto mais o tempo passa, mais eu sou Monica Geller.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.