Webpnet resizeimagejpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Webpnet resizeimagejpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Red Lips and Rosé

Love Is In The Air: 10 Romantic Movies On Netflix That You Must Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Who doesn’t love a good romance, right? Two of the most famous cinematic genres, dramas, and romantic comedies are always great choices anytime you feel like watching a movie to relax. So, since a good love story is never too much, we decided to put together some of the best movies on Netflix to dive into this world. Check it out!

“About Time” (2013)

What would you do if you could travel back in time and do anything you want again — and even win your soulmate’s heart? That is what Tim Lake (Domhnall Gleeson) tries to figure out in this movie. 

When Tim turned 21 his dad finally told him that time travel is a real thing for the male members of his family. Because of that, everything changed for him. At first, he was skeptical but, after realizing his dad was telling the truth, Tim decides it is time to follow his heart and win Mary’s (Rachel McAdams) heart, the woman of his dreams. However, while trying to change his own life, Tim finds out that sometimes it is better to leave things just the way they are. 

The movie is directed and written by Richard Curtis, well-known for “Notting Hill” and “Love Actually”. It is about love, life, and, mostly, the marks we leave on those we love.

“Friends With Benefits” (2011)

If you’re looking for a movie to laugh and love in the same measure, “Friends With Benefits” is definitely your golden option! Jamie (Mila Kunis) is a young recruiter from New York who convinces her potential client, Dylan (Justin Timberlake), to leave his job in Los Angeles and come to the Big Apple to work as an art director in a magazine. When they meet, they cannot deny they have a lot in common and start hanging out as very good friends. Then, after talking about failed dating, they decide to start a relationship based only on fun and sex; zero feelings are involved. But what happens when the heart starts racing without even wanting to?

“Leap Year” (2010)

An unexpected romance. Two people who dislike each other at first sight but have to stay together. Irish landscapes. What are you waiting for to watch this light and funny romantic comedy?

Anna (Amy Adams) is tired of waiting for her boyfriend’s proposal. So, she decides to travel to Dublin and ask him to marry her on February 29th. According to the local tradition, no one can refuse a proposal on this specific day. However, due to some difficulties on the trip, she has to spend the day with Declan (Matthew Goode), a very charming — but rude — guy who runs a local inn. Since they’re so different and have very strong personalities, they start teasing each other all day, making everything funnier. But, after spending so much time together, they start to realize their feelings might be changing — is that possible?

“The Holiday” (2006)

It turns out every day is a good day to watch Christmas movies! One of the most romantic tropes in cinema, this one never grows old and it keeps being one of the best!

The North-American Amanda Woods (Cameron Diaz) has a very good career but has been miserable since she broke up with her boyfriend. On the other side of the Atlantic Ocean, the English Iris Simpkins (Kate Winslet) is a successful editor who just found out that the guy she loves is marrying someone else. Since they’re very unhappy, the two young women decide to exchange houses for the Christmas holiday. Thus, Amanda goes to the UK while Iris comes to LA. Crazy, right? Everything gets better when Iris meets Miles, a movie composer, and Amanda meets Graham, Iris’ brother, and their hearts start to open up for love again. Besides Cameron and Kate, we also have names like Jack Black and Jude Law on the cast. What a team!

“Isi & Ossi” (2020)

A German romantic comedy that will win your heart: come in, “Isi & Ossi”!

Isabelle (Lisa Vicari) is a rich girl with a big dream to study cooking in New York. And after she found out her whole academic life was manipulated by her parents, she definitely wants to go away as fast as possible. However, her family thinks she is not capable of doing it all herself, so she decides to prove them wrong. Thus, she moves to the poor zone of Mannheim and gets a job as a waitress in a local diner. Besides that, she thinks that finding a boyfriend her parents would hate is another thing to do. And then comes Ossi (Dennis Mojen), a fighter who lives with his mom and is running out of money. They decide to help each other and end up spending a lot of time together — will the lie become something else?

Even though the movie may have a basic plot, “Isi & Ossi” is more than just a cliché. It also talks about the social division in Germany and how inequality is something very present in the country. The sarcastic sense of humor and eccentric characters are other details that surely make the film worth watching.  

“The Half of It” (2020)

Who doesn’t love a romantic cliché, right? “The Half of It” is this and so much more! 

Although it may seem like a random romantic comedy, the movie is way deeper than that. Ellie Chu (Leah Lewis) is a smart high school student who does her colleagues’ homework to make a little money and help her father with the bills. However, like every teenager, she has a secret crush nobody can know. Ellie is completely in love with Aster Flores (Alexxis Lemire), a popular girl who seems to be nice and sweet. So, when a boy asks Ellie to write love letters to Aster in his name, she sees herself in a conflict that she could have never imagined. Will Ellie help her potential friend or refuse and stay in her comfort zone? 

“The Notebook” (2004)

We dare you to watch this movie without shedding a tear. “The Notebook” is the adaptation of Nicholas Sparks’ book and, if you haven’t, you definitely should watch it. 

The movie follows the love story of Noah Calhoun (Ryan Gosling) and Allie Hamilton (Rachel McAdams) in the 1940s. When they meet, at an amusement park, Noah is a poor, hardworking boy and Allie is a rich girl with a strict family. They came from very different worlds, but that’s never an obstacle to true love. However, when Noah is sent to fight for the U.S. in World War II, Allie’s parents think it is time to break them up. Because of that, the lovers spent more than 7 years apart, without any contact, and building their lives again. But real love is way stronger than that and fate will definitely ensure they find each other again. 

A movie to cry over while eating candy: that’s “The Notebook”. The story is emotional and the chemistry between Ryan and Rachel is something outstanding too.

“Irreplaceable you” (2018)

Another option to love and cry at the same time. Abbie (Gugu Mbatha-Raw) and Sam (Michiel Huisman) have known each other since they’re eight years old and faithfully believe they are soulmates, destined to be together forever. However, everything changes when Abby finds out she has terminal cancer and none of the treatments is helping. Thus, trying to make sure that Sam will be okay after her death, she starts looking for a new love for him. But, while trying to arrange the future, she forgets what is most important to them: live in the present. 

The whole film carries the lesson of always living today and enjoying the time we have with the people we love. The future will be resolved somehow, but the present cannot be returned to us.

“How To Lose A Guy in 10 Days” (2003)

A harmless bet. Journalistic research. Just a few dates. What could go wrong? 

Ben Barry (Matthew McConaughey) is a successful publicist who is sure that any woman can fall in love with him in just 10 days. Thus, he bets with his boss and, if he succeeds, he will be responsible for an important diamond campaign. On the other side of the story, Andie Anderson (Kate Hudson) is a talented journalist who is writing an article about how to lose a guy in 10 days and she is determined to turn the chosen man’s life into a living hell. Ben and Andie meet at a random bar and choose one another as the target of their respective plans. But fate promises to mess with them in ways they definitely don’t expect. 

“Hoje Eu Quero Voltar Sozinho” (2014)

A thrilling movie about love and maturity, the Brazilian production “Hoje Eu Quero Voltar Sozinho” is beautiful and pure just the way it is and I promise you will fall in love with it too. 

Leonardo (Ghilherme Lobo) is a blind teenager whose mom is very overprotective. All he wants is to have a little independence and try new things. Everything changes, though, when Gabriel (Fábio Audi), a new boy in town, comes to Leo’s school and they start hanging out a lot – and some new feelings start arising in Leo’s heart. Because of that, the boy will learn more about his sexuality and himself while trying to figure out his place in the world.

Finally, it is important to remark that Netflix has a lot of good romantic movies in its catalog, but this list is just an abstract to some of the known and not-so-known productions that are definitely worth watching. So choose one of them, get the popcorn and let’s go, the romantic season has just begun — and we promise it will be unforgettable! 

—————————————————————————

The article above was edited by Helena Leite.

Like this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero’s home page for more!

Leticia Lopes

Casper Libero '23

a bookaholic journalism student, feminist and tv show enthusiast.