still from disney\'s loki
still from disney\'s loki
Marvel Studios

Loki: 5 Reasons Why You Should Watch The New Marvel Series

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

No one can deny that Marvel is on fire with the fourth phase of its cinematic universe. After the fame of the Avengers franchise, the studio decided to follow the steps of our favorite characters after the end of Endgame, resulting in a whole new era with remarkable stories to tell. One of these is Loki, the new Marvel show available on Disney+ and one of the studios’ greatest productions so far. The series premiered on the platform on June 9th and we decided to bring some reasons why you should watch it. Check it out! 

• Attention: This article may have spoilers of the first episodes of Loki. Be careful!
A Whole Different Story

In my opinion, Loki is nothing like the stories Marvel has told so far. Not only because of the character, who is an icon himself, but also because of the way they’re telling it. On the show, we have different timelines, surfing through the past, present and future. Although it may seem a little confusing, it is very organized and easy to follow – as long as you know or have watched the previous movies. 

As the name suggests, the series tells the story of Loki Laufeyson, son of Odin and God of Mischief, after he stole the Tesseract in the first Avengers movie (2012). Because of that, he is caught by the TVA, the Time Variance Authority, which works to make sure the timeline of the universe is being followed correctly. However, Loki is way more important to them than they could have imagined and now the TVA needs to do things they didn’t expect – like trusting the God of Mischief.

The Anti-Hero Everyone Loves

Since 2011 we have seen Loki and his tricks in Marvel movies. However, most of the time, we only saw him as Thor’s adoptive brother or the villain of the story, but things are way more complex than that. 

For me, Loki is more of an anti-hero than he is a villain, because throughout the movies he has done some things to help the Avengers, even though he doesn’t have the moral characteristics to be a traditional hero. Besides that, most of the time he is just a misunderstood character who is left aside. And that surely changes on the show, since we get to see more of him as the main character, with his personality that most of the fandom love. 

Furthermore, another important thing about Loki is that some revelations on the show, like dialogues and his TVA file, point out that he is gender fluid and bisexual, something that was never revealed by the studio but is very important for the fight of representativeness on cinema.

The Perfect Mix

As we already know, Wandavision was more about magic, while The Falcon and The Winter Soldier had more action scenes. If you enjoyed any of that, you will certainly love Loki, which is the perfect mix of them both. Honestly, as Hannah Montana once said, it is basically the best of both worlds, since Loki blends the action with the magic and fantasy in a very addicting way. 

Moreover, in the show we also have the comic jokes and the acid sense of humor we’ve already seen in the character, makes everything lighter and even more fun to watch

The Outstanding Cast

The God of Mischief is once again played by the talented Tom Hiddleston, who was made to be Loki all along. Even though they are very different from each other, Tom catches the essence of the anti-hero in a way that is just amazing. We honestly cannot imagine another actor to be Loki. 

Another famous name in the movie industry, Owen Wilson, known for Marley & Me (2008), plays Agent Mobius on the new Marvel series, working side by side with Loki to find out what is happening to the timeline of the universe. Other names like Sophia di Martino, Wunmi Mosaku and Gugu Mbatha-Raw also make appearances on the show. What a cast, right?

Photography and Visual Effects

It is no secret that Marvel, and Disney in general, has some of the best visual effects in the movie industry. Even though it doesn’t seem that important, we can assure you it is, changing the whole experience of watching the movie if it is well done. That greatness is also seen in Loki, following the steps of the previous movies and having remarkable photography.

The main color of the show is green, resembling Loki’s outfit and the main color of his powers, and it is great to see how they organized the colors so it can be the face of the character but not overloaded. Besides that, the main frame is about Loki so we get to know some details of the character based on the position of the cameras, such as how he is feeling or just his memories. It definitely makes everything more worth-watching! 

Finally, even though we have only listed five, the reasons to watch Loki could basically turn into a very long list, since the show is expected to be as great as the previous productions – and it probably will be. After all, this is Marvel Studios we are talking about, everything tends to be outstanding – and to play with our hearts.

——————————————————————————–

The article above was edited by Helena Leite 

Like this type of content? Follow Her Campus Cásper Líbero for more!

Leticia Lopes

Casper Libero '23

a bookaholic journalism student, feminist and tv show enthusiast.