The Locomotive For Your Life’s Success: Get To Know This Musical Project

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Music isn’t always as appreciated as it should be, but at the Locomotiva (locomotive in Portuguese) project, it’s a fundamental instrument to develop responsibility in kids and to make them see life from another perspective.

The Maestro Rogério Schuindt created the project in 2008, after a trip to Venezuela where he got to know the project “El Sistema” that used to give classes and free performances to the public, and that’s the way the project goes. The classes are given on Mondays until Fridays, at the morning and afternoon.

Image Source: Suzana Rodrigues

The Locomotiva started with only five students, as Thalita Coutinho, student and archivist, explains: “it started from zero, for a long time we didn’t have any investment from companies. It was only after six years that they started supporting us, so it was really difficult for a long time”.

The violins and cellos played in the project are made of PVC, with the support of the Brasken Company, and the ones made of wood are bought with the help of other partnerships and sponsorships, this way is not necessary for the kids to have their own instruments to attend classes. The project now has more than 80 students for each center and 50 applications for semester. The centers are located in Santo Andre and Mauá, at the Vila Nova União district in São Paulo.

Image Source: Suzana Rodrigues

At the Locomotiva project, the students can develop so much until they become teachers, just like it happened to the 18 year old Matheus Guimaraes, “I was a kid that used to be at the streets a lot and my grandmother showed me this project that gives kids free music classes, […] I started playing and then, after a while, I became a tutor, which is a little more advanced than a student, then Rogério hired me as a teacher. After that, I became a Spalla, which is like a support for the conductor”, like that, everyone at the Locomotiva project is constantly growing in every way.

The project has this name because the locomotive represents the music and the train wagonis what comes with the student that music will help with their indiscipline and insecurity. Caleb Gazeta, student and teacher at the Locomotiva, explained: “the students come here psychologically weakened and in need, and they end up leaving totally transformed, not only musically, but at the sentimental part too. They start getting their lives together, because music has this power of transforming things”.

There are many stories like Caleb’s, who after six months playing the Viola, got into the Municipal School of Music at the age of 16. Now he has been a teacher at the Locomotiva project for nine years. “It’s been 12 years since I got in this project, I’m so grateful and I’m so happy to be here, the project is in my heart.”

Image Source: Suzana Rodrigues

The Locomotiva depends on donations and partnerships with companies like Lacoste, Coop, Pirelli and many others, thank to these sponsorships the project develops each year and transforms the lives of hundreds of kids through music, evolving in music and in life, taking the lessons for their entire lives.

Suzana Dezena

Casper Libero '22

Me chamo Suzana, tenho 17 anos, sonho em ser jornalista desde os 7 anos, me formarei em 2022, sempre gostei de escrever e pretendo ser repórter investigativa.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.