Statue at São Paulo Museum of Art
Statue at São Paulo Museum of Art
Photo by Pietra Sábia

Lesbianism Expressed In Art Through History: Get To Know 10 Artists Who Did It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

When we think about homosexuality expressed in art, what often comes to our mind are gay men. There’s a chance you’ve never even heard of any lesbian artists, especially if you’re not a lesbian. When we visit a museum, it may be hard to find a painting made by a well-known lesbian artist. But does that mean they don’t exist? Are there any lesbian artists at all? 

Despite what many people may think, the answer is yes: of course there are. Due to the erasure the lesbian community has been dealing with for the past decades, most people don’t know any painters, writers, poets, actresses or musicians who are lesbians. So, to celebrate and honor this year’s lesbian visibility month, here’s a list of ten remarkable lesbian artists for you to know.

ROSA BONHEUR

French painter Rosa Bonheur, born in 1822, was both famous as an artist and as a lesbian in her private life. She had a huge love for horses, dogs and other domesticated animals, and portrayed them beautifully in many of her masterpieces.

LOUISE ABBÉMA

Louise Abbéma was a French painter, sculptor and designer of the Belle Époque. She was born in a wealthy family and started her life as an artist at a very young age. She started receiving recognition for her work when she painted a portrait of the famous actress Sarah Bernhardt, her lifelong friend and lover.

ADRIENNE RICH

Although she’s mainly known for being an activist for women’s rights and a teacher, Adrienne Rich was also a talented poet. In 1974, she won one of the most influential literary awards in America, the National Book Award, among many others. Diving into the Wreck, her poem about equal rights for women, is considered to be her most popular piece of work.

AUDRE LORDE

Born in New York in 1934, Audre Lorde was a proud feminist, philosopher, writer and advocate for lesbian rights. She dedicated both her life and her activism to “confronting and addressing injustices of racism, sexism, classism, and homophobia.” She has published more than ten poems, and they’re all worth reading.

EMILY DICKINSON

Known as one of the greatest poets of all time, her poetry is widely recognized within the lesbian community. In Because I could not stop for Death, one of her most acclaimed poems, Dickinson uses metaphors to write about the journey of death. If you’re interested in her work, you should definitely watch Dickinson, a television series about her life and her work released in 2021 by Apple TV.

LILY TOMLIN

The American actress, comedian and producer Lily Tomlin, started her career in stand-up comedy in the 60’s. As she grew as an artist, she won seven Emmy Awards, a Grammy Award, and two Tony Awards. She has always been very outspoken about her sexuality and her wife Jane Wagner.

TRACY CHAPMAN

Singer and songwriter of the songs “Fast Car”, “Baby Can I Hold You” and “Give Me One Reason”, Chapman once stated that she “would like to live as if only love mattered.” The famous and talented artist has had romantic relationships with women during her entire life.

SARAH PAULSON

The beloved actress Sarah Paulson has starred in many movies and television series. She played a lesbian role in many of them, such as Ratched, American Horror Story, Carol and much more. She’s been married to Holland Taylor since 2015, and is extremely adored and respected by the lesbian community. 

ALBA FLORES

Alba González Villa is a Spanish actress best known for her role as Nairobi in La Casa de Papel (Money Heist). Despite being very private about her dating life, she can be considered a lesbian icon regardless, due to her role as Saray Vargas in Vis a Vis (Locked Up).

MUNA

The American indie-pop band Muna, formed by Katie Gavin, Josette Maskin, and Naomi McPherson, has been gaining a lot of popularity among the lesbian community in the past few years. All the members identify as lesbians and host a podcast named “Gayotic”, a chaotic and fun project you should definitely check out (especially if you’re queer).

—————————–

The article above was edited by Isadora Costa.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Cásper Líbero home page for more!

Mariana da Costa

Casper Libero '25

Journalism student at Cásper Líbero. Passionate about writing, slightly obsessed with the color green and a huge Star Wars fan.