It’s Movie Time! Get To Know #5 Street Cinemas In Sao Paulo

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Sao Paulo is a huge cultural center, it’s a city that never sleeps, at any time of the day you can find somewhere new to discover. It’s a box of miscellaneous secrets ready to be discovered. At the end of this semester, with vacation finally approaching, it’s time to unlock these secrets after long months of dedication. And what’s one of the best ways to do that? Of course, watching movies. But, if you want to get out of your comfort zone, explore this city, and have another experience when watching a movie, I have a tip for you: street cinemas.

Cinema in Brazil

After the invention of the cinema, the Lumière brothers, in 1895, the seventh art began to spread throughout the world. In Brazil, the first movie session took place in 1896 in Rio de Janeiro, with screenings that showed European cities. There are controversies regarding the first film recorded in the country, but it was the “Uma Vista da Baía de Guanabara”, by Afonso Segreto, in 1898, that marks the beginning of Brazilian cinema.

Therefore, street cinemas began to become popular. In Sao Paulo, the first to be built in the Cine Art Palácio, in 1936. These new constructions moved the city and became one of the main leisure activities. Around 1970, with the arrival of television and VHS, street theaters began to decline. However, in addition to these issues, population and metropolis growth were great exponents of their decadence, since social problems began to become increasingly frequent, mainly due to real estate speculation.

The city centers were suffocated by the new spatial configuration that the metropolis took and the cinemas migrated to the new malls, which conveyed an idea of ​​security that did not occur on the streets.

With this, the scrapping of national culture also began. Ancine (National Film Agency) data showed that, in the 70s, when there were many movie theaters and almost all of them in the street, national films that surpassed the two million spectators mark rotated between three to four a year. During the 1990s, this number dropped to less than one per year, and only increased again in the 2000s.

The street cinemas that exist today have resisted various forms of destruction. They’ve become strong cultural spaces and landmarks in urban life. But where you can find those spaces? Discover now five street cinemas to visit in Sao Paulo and celebrate your resistance.

CINESALA

Former Cine Fiammetta, the Cinesala has been in the city since 1962. Its objective is to recover, enhance spaces and provide people to meet, the cinema comes with a great diversity of films. Inside the cinema, there are traditional individual chairs and sofas, which resemble a large bed.

Address: Fradique Coutinho Street, 361 – Pinheiros, SP.

PLayARTE MARABÁ

It was opened in 1945, at a time of great effervescence for cinema in the city, with the name of Cine Marabá. Even with its modernization, its architecture houses the essence of the old movie theaters.

Address: Av. Ipiranga, 757 – Centro, SP.

RESERVA CULTURAL

Inaugurated in 1967 with the movie “Un Homme et Une femme” by Claude Lelouch. Old Cine Gazetinha, the cinema is located in one of the main tourist attractions of São Paulo, Avenida Paulista.

Address: Avenida Paulista, 900.

PETRA BELAS ARTES

It opened in 1943 and was called Cine Ritz. It’s one of the oldest and most traditional street cinemas in the city, it is known for its more alternative and classic programming. Since 2013, it ‘s consider a historic heritage of Sao Paulo.

Address: Consolação Street, 2423 – Consolação – SP.

CINESESC

Cinesesc was founded in 1979 and is one of the most consecrated places for lovers of the seventh art. It’s also known for its lineup of more classic movies.

Address: Augusta Street, 2075.

———————————–

The article above was edited by Lorena Lindenberg.

Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Cásper Líbero for more!

Isadora Costa

Casper Libero '24

Journalism student passionate about any form of art. Telling stories fascinates and that's what I'm trying to do here.