Investments 101: Seven Items Over R$100 You Won’t Regret Buying Part 1

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Living in a tide budget like interns and college students always do, it is a bit hard spending more than R$ 100,00 one an iten or even more. But, sometimes quality is more important than quantity and it is better to spend your money wisely than regret it later!  

1.    A white silk shirt

Isn’t it funny how the addition of something as simple as a white silk shirt can make an outfit stand out? The wonderful thing about shirts and chemises is how versatile they are. You can wear a long one as a tunic to the beach. You can wear it to the office or you can wear them with jeans. You can even wear one to a formal party. One thing to keep in mind though is that not the same tone of white might favor everyone, so the right shirt for you may range fromsoft white, ivory, or even a very pale pastel (such as mint or blush). The reason you might go for silk instead of other cheaper materials is that silk is surprisingly easy to care for and will retain its shape for a very long time. It also is extremely versatile and looks brilliant with tailored trousers, skirts or jeans. In other words, it works with the kind of clothes most people already own and wear, rather than being a hard-to-wear item. Silk keeps you dry and comfortable in any climate, year-round, all while being hypoallergenic and beautiful.   

How long it will last: Silk can last for years as long as you don’t store it where light can damage it and are sure to wash it by hand only.

Price range: From R$130,00 up to R$1.700,00

2.    Black cocktail dress

Fashion historians say that Coco Chanel and Jean Patou came up while the black cocktail dress (or the famous “little black dress”) while intending to create a long-lasting, versatile, accessible to the widest market possible piece. To a college student it may seem like a waste of money, but a black dress is considered essential to a complete wardrobe by many. It almost feels like a “rule of fashion” that every woman should own a simple, elegant black dress that can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion. Buy a dress that is made of quality materials and has excellent construction: linings and tailoring are something to look out for. Buying a dress with these qualities will make you happy to pick a nice dress every time you go out to a fancy dinner or a wedding and just keep reusing it for a whole decade.

How long it will last: Being very careful to follow the maker’s instruction (and dry-cleaning if it says so), it can last well over 10 years.

Price range: From R$250,00 up to R$2.000,00

3.    Dress pants

Choose the silhouette and material that suit your personal style and a color that complements your skin tone, and wear this when you really want to make a fashion statement or in the office. Also on those evenings when it’s too cold to wear a skirt, you might even get away with wearing it to a party. Also having your trousers tailored to match the type of shoes you’re wearing is a tiny but important detail, so as a rule of thumb make sure the hem of your dress pants fall about ½ inch from the ground in the back, covering most of the shoe in the back, without actually touching the ground.

How long it will last: Making sure that it is washed with care and that you dry it properly, it may last for three to five years.

Price range: You may find one for as low as R$90,00 but the fact that these type of trousers requires that you take it to a tailor, it may cost over a hundred in the end.

4.    Well-fitted lingerie

Wearing the an ill-fitting bra or drab underwear can ruin the overall look of even the most immaculately outfit. An effective and stylish lingerie is one of the biggest secrets to achieving the best from both your body and clothing. Well-fitting nude lingerie is an absolute essential, for the most versatile and long-wearing option choose a style with a smooth finish and minimal embellishment. Just like with evening clothes, a shiny finish can highlight your best assets, whereas a matte finish is a more useable alternative. The mistake many of us make is settling for a bra that’s close enough to our real size but still not the actual things, rather than holding out for one that’s perfect.The most important consideration is comfort. The center of the bra should lie flat against the breastbone and the back of the bra should rest comfortably against the middle of your back. Most high-end-ish stores offer free fittings, so there’s no real reason to wear something that makes your boobs look bad. Also, wearing the wrong size of bra can be damaging to your spine depending of how big your breasts are. But keep in mind, lingerie is for yourself. It can make you feel and look more confident and quality pieces last longer, so it’s a personal investment.

How long it will last: It’s very important to wash your bras fairly regularly because the oil from your skin breaks down the elasticity of the fabric, so with that in mind, a good quality set of lingerie may last for more than two years.

Price range: R$100,00 (bra and panty) to up to R$500,00

5.    Leather or faux-leather jacket

The motorcycle jacket is a classic must have in every one’s closet. I can’t think of an outfit you can’t wear it with.  Wear it casually with some jeans and sneakers or dress it up with a night gown and heels.  This staple piece gives us an instantly bit of edge and probably will never go out of style! Even if you’re against animal cruelty (as I am), vegan leather is nice substitute that contains no animal products. The key to wear it without going out of style is to keep updating what the jacket is paired with. Since leather ages beautifully, your jacket will look better over time.

How long it will last: A good quality jacket will last for over 5 years.

Price range: R$120,00 to R$2.500,00

6.    Glasses with UV protection

Sunglasses are a great fashion accessory, but having one with real UV (ultraviolet) rays protection is something very important. When purchasing sunglasses, you will want to look for ones that block out 99 to 100% of both UVA and UVB radiation, so you can keep your eyes healthy. This comes with a price, since there’s a lot of glasses that claim to have protection when they actually don’t. Some sunglasses are now carrying optometric seals of approval, which guarantee their effectiveness. People should wear sunglasses outdoors whether they are working,  participating in sports, taking a walk or running errands, so buying a pair that is made of good quality material is something that may save you a lot of visits to the optometrist in the long run.

How long it will last: Up to 10 years when taken good care of, you should always look out for any scratch on the lenses since it might let the sun harm your eyes.

Price range: R$100,00 up to R$2.000,00

7.    A nice pair of running shoes

Whether you workout or not, ivesting in a quality shoe can help you to prevent foot and ankle damage, and make walking amore pleasant and comfortable experience.

A variety of sport shoes are on the market for every type of exercise, and more importantly, for every type of feet. Yes, most people feet can be classified into three broad categories based on how they perform in terms of absorbing impact, responding to uneven surfaces and act as a lever to propel the body forward. When you pick your next pair of running shoes, your pronation type is a very important factor in your choice. You also should keep in mind that the type of activity you do can play a big role in the type of material that your shoes should be made of. Running shoes usually have inbuilt shock absorbers for joggers, and lightweight walking shoes are available for walkers. Tennis shoes have flexible soles to protect your feet from the quick side-to-side movements, while playing basketball demands a thick-soled and high top pair of shoes, so it provides extra protection against injuries caused by jumping.

How long it will last: For a casual walker, it may last over 5 years. if you go to the gym more than three times a week, you might want to change your shoes every two or three years.

Price range: R$100,00 to R$1.400,00

Catalina De Vera

Casper Libero

Catalina De Vera is a freshman at Casper Libero, Cásper Líbero University, majoring in Journalism. Born in Argentina but raised in Brazil, she identifies as a citizen of the world, always seeking the next big literary adventure. An insomniac with an undying love for writing, you can usually find her reading books, hanging out with friends or running after an interview. Catalina also likes drinking tea, overthinking what shoes to wear and watching Audrey Hepburn movies in her spare time. 
Alana Claro

Casper Libero '17

Alana is a Senior in Cásper Líbero University, majoring in Journalism. She is President of Casper Libero's Chapter and an intern in a Corporate Communications firm. Born and raised in Sao Paulo, where she speaks Portuguese, although English is her ever-lasting love. Alana is a proud Slytherin and INTJ.