This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

There is no doubt that “fast fashion” has revolutionized the fashion world. The movement that emerged in the 1970s, as an alternative for the textile industries that suffered from government  limitations during the oil crisis, aims to produce clothing on a large scale, with inferior quality and less durability. This type of industry ends up influencing a massive consumption of poor quality clothes increasing the number of discarded products.

These consequences have a major environmental impact. To have an idea, the fashion industry produces 80 billion pieces of clothing per year, this is equivalent to about 10 pieces per person on Earth, and, if the demand for fast fashion continues to grow at its current rate, we could see the total carbon footprint of our clothing reach 26% by 2050, according to The Ethical Consumer and Greenpeace’s Journal, ‘Unearthed’.

But is it possible to change this scenario in time? Well, to start with, why not change some of our consumption habits, instead of investing in new clothes made by unsustainable brands search for new ways to spend on fashion. Here are four alternative options to fast fashion:

Second Hand

Why not invest in high quality vintage pieces? Or used pieces that would last a few more good years? Buying second-hand clothes or thrift stores saves the world of the full impact of producing new items like those. And to make it easier, many thrift stores have opened online and Instagram stores, so you don’t even have to leave the house to guarantee cool items.

Clothing Swap

Another option — and one of the most sustainable ones — is the clothing swap! Besides not contributing to the mass production of “fast fashion”, you also end up passing some of your pieces on, always keeping a renovated wardrobe. One good tip is to keep in close contact with friends or people with the same size of clothes so that these exchanges always happen.

Fair Fashion

Fair Fashion is all about the positive impact that a brand has on society. Many clothing brands work to positively impact the community they are in, whether offering fair working conditions for their employees or boosting local commerce. The tip is to look for companies that have positive impact certifications or search the company’s website or social network for their philosophy, values ​​and cause, and if you have any questions, contact the company, transparency is an important issue for these companies.

Local Production

Look for local commerce! With this habit you are encouraging the growth of small businesses close to you and you are also reducing your ecological footprint by avoiding transporting these parts over long distances. Not to mention that many of these local businesses have unique and handmade pieces that will make a total difference in your wardrobe.

—————————————————————————

The article above was edited by Marina Ponchio.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Fernanda Fernandes

Casper Libero '20

Curious about the world