Here’s Why You Should Watch ‘Crush’, The New LGBTQ RomCom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Romantic comedies have always been a crowd favorite. The genuine happiness and butterflies in our stomachs when the couple finally gets together is priceless, and ‘Crush’ is no different. So here’s why you should watch it:

#1: THE STORY

The cute teenage comedy explores the story of a love triangle. When Paige, played by Rowan Blanchard, is accused of being the mysterious ‘King Pun’, an artist that sprays paints around campus, she needs to accept a deal with the school’s principal that includes joining the track team. We then come to learn that Gabriela (Isabella Ferreira), Paige’s crush and track team captain, leads the team with her sister AJ (Auli’i Cravalho).

When Paige joins the team, the coach designates AJ to help her, and through many hours of training, a relationship starts taking place. Later in the story, Paige realizes that maybe one of the girls is not the one for her and secrets begin to appear.

#2: the plot and cast

In a classic teenage cliche, the movie is light and endearing. The plot doesn’t focus on big problems like homophobia or prejudice, it has a soft plot that concentrates only on romance and the normal obstacles they have to face along the way. It is noticeable the authenticity in this production and cast, and probably because most artists involved in the project are queer themselves, including the actresses starring in the movie, Blanchard, and Cravalho.

#3: queer RELATIONSHIPs

This is not a deep or thoughtful movie, it is simply a cute production that shows the representation of the LGBTQIA+ community and that their existence or relationships are not based on other’s prejudice – and neither should be movies with queer relationships. If you’re looking for a distressing movie to enjoy your time and feel warm on the inside, then ‘Crush’ is the one for you!

————————-

The article above was edited by Giullia Cartaxo. 

Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Casper Libero for more!

Beatriz Oliveira

Casper Libero '25

Journalism student at Cásper Líbero, who's also a very passionate reader and writer. I tend to spend most of my days fangirling over Taylor Swift, reading romcoms and talking about politics!