This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

“Girls can be anything!”— With an empowering speech, Good Girls, an American crime comedy-drama released internationally on Netflix on July 4, has everything to become our favorite TV binge-worthy TV show. 

Good Girls tells the story of Annie (Mae Whitman), Ruby (Retta) and Beth (Christina Hendricks), three suburban mothers from Detroit. They are best friends, and are by each other’s side on the good times and, especially, the moments as well. When we are first introduced to them, the trio is going through a hard time, facing financial issues and family problems.

While working at a grocery store with people she’s not necessarily friends with, Annie is also fighting with her ex boyfriend for their child’s custody. Ruby is working as a waitress and struggling to give her daughter good health care options to treat her kidney disease. Ruby, unfortunately, can’t afford her daughter’s medication.

Finally, Beth, who is a full time housewife, not only discovers that her husband is cheating on her, but also that he is covered in debts. She realizes that soon her four kids won’t have a roof over their heads. 

Jokingly, Annie suggests to Beth and Ruby that they should rob a grocery store — the one she works at. For Annie’s surprise, they agree, in a clear sign of desperation. The trio starts planning the robbery; their advantage is that Annie knows the place very well. The goal is to get, at least, 30 thousand dollars.

With kitchen gloves on, toy guns and a robber’s mask, they successfully rob the grocery store. However, the trio ends up with way more money than they had planned. This leads our favorite trio to — very — unwanted consequences, like getting involved with a gang, for example. 

With a total of 10 episodes, the TV series is exciting and very empowering. It focuses on Beth’s storyline, and shows how a dedicated wife, that focused entirely on her husband and kids for years, discovers something that she likes to do: crime. Beth learns that with her illegal activities, she can be, for the first time, an independent woman. She is able to afford her family’s expenses and confront her cheating husband.

Good Girls also brings an important topic to the show: gender identity. Annie’s child, Sadie (Izzy Stannard), is being bullied in school for dressing and acting like a boy, according to his classmates. It’s clear from the beginning that Sadie is, in fact, a transgender child and, even though, he’s not accepted at school, Annie loves, admires and supports her child. 

The actors have an incredible ability of doing both comedy and drama. They portray difficult situations, but also make people laugh. Their chemistry on screen is incredible, and makes us love their bond and the support system they have for each other. 

Good Girls has been renewed for a second season. It takes us on a journey! You’ll cry and laugh, and probably will binge watch the entire series in one afternoon. The TV series is available on Netflix and is definitely a must-watch!

Carolina is a national contributing writer and was formerly a summer and fall 2021 editorial intern at Her Campus. She's a Brazilian journalist and writer, and she's very passionate about TikTok, coffee shops, and Taylor Swift.
Anna is a 21 year old from Sao Paulo, Brazil, who studies Journalism at Casper Libero University. She’s currently the Editor in Chief of Her Campus CL's Chapter and is pretty obsessed with fashion, beauty and (trashy) reality TV shows.