Get To Know The Italian Rock Band “Måneskin”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The article below was written by Rebeca Cimino and edited by Laura Enchioglo. Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Cásper Líbero for more!

EMA’s Best Rock Band. Courageous. Unexpected. Måneskin is an italian rock band formed by four friends: Damiano David, the vocalist, Victoria De Angelis, who plays the bass, Ethan Torchio, the drummer, and Thomas Raggi, who plays the electric guitar. 

The band started in 2016, in Rome, and it was Victoria and Thomas’ ideia. Some time later, Ethan and Damiano joined them. The name of the band came to mind after Victoria had a brainstorming session and said a lot of words in danish. Her father is Italian and her mother is from Denmark.  “Måneskin” means moonlight in danish

If you listen to music on the radio, surely you have listened to them. “Beggin’ “, “I wanna be your slave”, “MAMMAMIA”, “ZITTI E BUONI” and so many more. Speaking of songs, some of them became worldwide famous trends on TikTok, an app focused on short videos which is popular all over the Earth. 

They sing mainly rock songs, agitated and rebellious.  However, their sad songs are also a blast. “Torna a casa” is so sentimental and soft, showing us another side of this multi talented band, obviously never leaving the rock genre.

Måneskin participated in the eleventh edition of X-Factor Italia, in 2017. Although they did not win the reality show, the band got to sign a deal with Sony. Soon after that, they exploded with success – becoming famous all over the world. 

In 2021, the four members won the Sanremo Music Festival and the Eurovision Song Contest, with the song “ZITTI E BUONI”, bringing the title to Italy.  Besides that, the band also won Best Rock at the MTV EMA’s almost a month ago. They were up against extraordinary and veteran bands such as Foo Fighters, Imagine Dragons, The Killers, Coldplay and Kings of Leon.

The group had also been nominated for Best Group (won by South Korean boyband BTS) and Best Italian Act (won by pop/rap performer Aka 7even). Talking about heartstopping conquers, they were the opening act for The Rolling Stones in Las Vegas, USA, in the beginning of november. 

Måneskin was featured on the hilarious and unpredictable talk show hosted by Jimmy Fallon, The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, at the end of october. The stage presence, the outfits, the instrumentation, the vocals, only compliments for them! It all seems so effortless for these guys, they are so artistic! 

Definitely is a great example of what to do in show business.  This is an invite for you to get to know these Italian rock gods. Listen to “Il ballo della vitta”,  “Teatro d’ira – Vol. I”, and “Chosen” in the music streaming services of your preference! They are also available on YouTube. 

In addition, here are three more reasons to like Måneskin: they are a new, bold quartet that helps bring out a new side of rock, renewing the genre. Their repertoire is well divided between original songs and covers. Besides some controversies, classic rock is so well sang and goes beyond what we used to know. 

And this is Måneskin! 

👯‍♀️ Related: Why Is Adele’s “30” The Most Impressive Comeback Album
Rebeca Cimino

Casper Libero '22

sometimes we screw things up for the better ?