This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Beyond compliments, flowers, and chocolates, what a woman desires for International Women’s Day is to be recognized for something significant, be it big or small, that she has achieved.

In Brazil, despite not always being properly recognized, women far ahead of their time have shaped the history of their country. Facing daily struggles and prejudices, women began occupying spaces and becoming pioneers in different spheres. Check out 5 women who broke the mold and revolutionized Brazilian history!

Princess Isabel

Emperor Dom Pedro II’s daughter and heiress to the Brazilian throne, Princess Isabel is globally known for signing the Golden Law in 1888, which abolished slavery in Brazil. Before the Golden Law, during her regency, the Free Womb Law was passed in 1871, stating that enslaved women would give birth only to free babies.

The princess was the first woman to govern Brazil, serving as Regent of the Empire and the last Imperial Princess of the country. Despite resistance from conservative sectors, she showed courage and determination, and revolutionized the history of Brazil.

Nise da Silveira

A Brazilian psychiatrist and psychoanalyst who revolutionized mental treatment in Brazil. Throughout her career, Nise da Silveira challenged traditional psychiatric treatment practices, which previously involved coercive and aggressive methods. She developed more humanistic and innovative approaches, introducing occupational therapy and artistic expression as therapeutic tools.

Nise believed that art served as a means for patients to reframe their connections with reality, advocating that this was possible through their creative and symbolic expressions. 

In addition to her innovative practices, Nise also played a significant role in spreading psychoanalytic ideas in Brazil and was a human rights advocate, opposing the military dictatorship. Her legacy extends beyond significant contributions to psychiatry and psychology to include a humanistic and compassionate approach to addressing mental health issues.

Glória Maria

Glória Maria‘s trajectory was marked by pioneering efforts, and she emphasized the importance of being the first in Brazilian journalism. She was the first reporter to go live on Jornal Nacional and the first to record a report in color.

The journalist conducted the first HD broadcast on Brazilian television and visited over 100 countries in her stories. Glória was the first journalist to record a report on a hang gliding flight and the first Brazilian woman to cover a war.

A symbol of representation, Glória Maria left an eternal legacy of strength, resistance, and courage. A trailblazer, she paved the way for generations of women, not only in journalism.

Marta

Marta Vieira da Silva is the all-time leading scorer in World Cup history. The Brazilian was named the best player in the world six times and set records among both men and women, according to FIFA. She was the first athlete to score goals in five different editions of the World Cup and, in 2015, surpassed Pelé, the King of Football, becoming the top scorer for the Brazilian national team with a tally of 117 goals.

She holds various titles in various championships worldwide, from the Brazilian Championship to the Pan American Games. In 2018, the United Nations appointed Marta as a Goodwill Ambassador for women and girls in sports. As an example of overcoming challenges in sports since childhood, Marta is an inspiration for young athletes and a symbol of the fight for gender equality in sports.

Since then, the player has dedicated herself to supporting the work of women in sports worldwide, inspiring women and girls to overcome barriers and pursue their dreams.

Fernanda Montenegro

A pioneer in national television drama, Fernanda Montenegro has appeared in more than 30 programs, including soap operas, miniseries, and specials. In theater, she has performed in over 70 plays in more than 70 years of her career.

She was the first Brazilian to win the International Emmy Award for Best Actress for her role in Doce de Mãe (2013) and the only actress from the country to be nominated for the main prize in the North American film industry – the Oscar.

Popularly known as the “grand dame of Brazilian dramaturgy” and “the greatest actress in the history of Brazil,” she made her debut on Globo in the year of its inauguration.

Her impact on breaking gender barriers, longevity in her career, professionalism, and empowerment solidify a legacy that inspires women and generations to strive for excellence in their professional journeys and actively contribute to the enrichment of Brazil’s cultural identity.

Nowadays, we have not only participation, but we also gain prominence and recognition in various areas such as democracy, sports, art, and science, among others. Thanks to women who fought for their rights and broke a pattern, we have access to resources and spaces that a century ago would have been unimaginable and inaccessible.

We are strong, resilient, and have the incredible ability to revolutionize and make history – be it our country, our families, or our own lives. You’re able to do and be whatever you want! 

Happy Women’s Day! <3

The article above was edited by Duda Kabzas.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Cásper Líbero home page for more!

Gabriela Belchior

Casper Libero '26

Hi! I’m Gabi, journalism student at Casper Libero University. Welcome to the purest essence of me: communication.