This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

At Instituto Tomie Ohtake you can immerge in Mexican artistic universe from the 20th century. There you can find a lot of paintings, drawings and photos of surrealistic painter that innovated art. They were all about art, love and engagement: political and cultural.

“Why do I need feet when I have wings to fly?” was one of the most famous quotes from Frida Kahlo, the artist being honored in the exposition “Frida Kahlo: conexões de mulheres surrealistas no México”. She dedicated her own life to create works of art that would build her career and bring her relief, both to body pain (Frida suffered from several injuries due to a car accident in her late adolescence). One of her main traces was to express a lot of Mexican culture through her works.

The art exhibition is happening at Instituto Tomie Ohtake until january 2016 and it’s a great opportunity for those who want to know more about Mexican artists, specially Frida Kahlo. There are more than 100 works chosen by Teresa Arqc, curator, and 20 of then were made by Kahlo.  For her, “she proposed a unique style and created a visual autobiographical narrative through her work”.

Frida Kahlo was born in 1907 and had a turbulent life, with a lot of ups and downs. She is considered to be one of surrealism icons. For Kahlo, she couldn’t be surrealistic, because she painted her own life, not dreams.

She wasn’t a character that passed without noticing, for sure: her art talks about her country and personal suffering, including the pain from abortions that happened to her. She was able to consolidate a way of art that confirms her fascinating identity that kept changing all the time. And maybe that’s exactly the notion of humanity that made a huge impact among its spectators.

Thinking about Frida Kahlo, we all think about how she put something of México at her works of art. In the 47 years that lived, she was an artist that made her own style based on a local culture, always trying to valorize and get it to know everyone.

All her paintings show different interpretations and for its educational activity, we shouldn’t look for the works trying to understand and find the right explanation. There is a multiple perspective in everything exposed. Most of Kahlo’s works, portraits the same themes: her sickness, the abortion, feminine universe and Mexico. She was an engaged women trying to build a strong Mexican identity by her job. Wanna know more about her and all honored artists? Take a time this weekend and go to see “Frida Kahlo: conexões de mulheres surrealistas no México”. It’s worth a try!

Where? Instituto Tomie Ohtake –  Rua dos Coropés, 88 – Pinheiros. It is near to subways station Faria Lima

When? From Tuesdays to Sundays

What time? From 11h to 20h

How much? R$ 10 or R$ 5 (half entry), except at Tuesdays, because it is free entry for every visitors.

19 years old Journalism student at Cásper Líbero, I am passionate about being a reporter. HC Cásper Líbero Campus reporter, I love interviewing, writing about people stories and learning new stuff. Born in São Paulo, I can't imagine living somewhere out of here. Maybe I like the crazyness of this town.