Career > Her20s

Everything I Know About Love by Dolly Alderton is the new it book and you have to read it

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

“Nearly everything I know about love, I’ve learnt from my long-term friendships with women.”

Dolly Alderton

Everything I Know About Love was released for the first time in 2018, by the British journalist Dolly Alderton. The author’s debut book became a top five Sunday Times bestseller in its first week of publication – and New York Times bestseller too -, won a National Book Award, in the United Kingdom, for Autobiography of the Year and was made into a BBC TV series. 

In 2023, the novel became popular on TikTok, especially among girls in her twenties – like me, and probably you, dear reader -, and, in August, won the TikTok Book Awards. But, why do you have to read Dolly Alderton’s memoir? 

The internationally bestselling book is about the growing pains of adulthood – growing up, growing older and learning to navigate jobs, loss, friendship and love along the ride. Girl, if you feel lost in your twenties, this book is for you.

“Glittering with wit and insight, heart and humor, Dolly Alderton’s unforgettable debut weaves together personal stories, satirical observations, a series of lists, recipes, and other vignettes that will strike a chord of recognition with women of every age—making you want to pick up the phone and tell your best friends all about it.”

Everything I know about love

Each of Alderton´s stories illustrate the challenges of adulthood in your early twenties, especially regarding friendship and romantical love. When you read Everything I Know About Love, there is a feeling of solidarity. You can almost hear Dolly Alderton saying: “honey, you are not alone in your adulting experience”. 

In this memoir, the journalist and former Sunday Times columnist recounts, in a vivid way, her experiences of finding a job, getting drunk, falling in love and so many other growing up experiences. Everything I Know About Love” is about good friends, bad dates, romantic love and – above all else – realizing that you are always enough.

“I know that love can be loud and jubilant. It can be dancing in the swampy mud and the pouring rain at a festival and shouting “you are amazing” over the band. It’s laughing until you wheeze. It’s walking along the street together on a Saturday night and feeling an entire city is yours. I also know that love is a pretty quiet thing. It’s lying on the sofa together drinking coffee, talking about where you’re going to go that morning to drink more coffee. It’s folding down pages of books you think they’d find interesting.”

Dolly Alderton’s best seller, “Everything I Know About Love

Wildly funny – and sometimes heartbreaking – the book is similar to Bridget Jones’s Diary, but in real life. 

“Dolly Alderton has always been a sparkling Roman candle of talent. She is funny, smart, and explosively engaged in the wonders and weirdness of the world. But what makes this memoir more than mere entertainment is the mature and sophisticated evolution that Alderton describes in these pages. It’s a beautifully told journey and a thoughtful, important book. I loved it.”

Elizabeth Gilbert, New York Times bestselling author of Eat, Pray, Love and City of Girls. 

Everything I Know About Love is actually a celebration of every girl’s female friendship –  it’s a book to share with every woman you’ve ever been lucky enough to call a friend. 

Girl, this memoir will be your comfort book, I swear. 

——

The article above was edited by Isadora Restiffe.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero’s home page for more!

Mariana Ribeiro

Casper Libero '25

Estudante de jornalismo, sonhadora e apaixonada desde sempre por comunicação e fotografia. Torço para que minhas palavras possam contribuir um pouquinho para o mundo.