fullsizerender 3?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
fullsizerender 3?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Books You Should Read If You Loved “Heartstopper”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

If you’re reading this, you’ve probably watched Netflix’s newest teen series “Heartstopper”, felt like an orphan for watching it all in one day, and are looking for ways to fill this void until the streaming service produces a new season.

The adaptation of the graphic novel written and illustrated by Alice Oseman is winning over audiences and critics. And while we still don’t have any confirmation of a new season, here are five wonderful books to fill the void Charlie and Nick have left in our hearts.

RED, WHITE & ROYAL BLUE – Casey McQuiston

“What can happen when the son of the President of the United States falls in love with the Prince of England?”

This is one of the most recommended new adult romance books on TikTok. And it meets (in my case, exceeds) all expectations created by the audience. Our protagonist, Alex Claremont-Diaz is the son of the President of the United States with half Mexican and half Texan blood, he is dedicated to following in politics. On the other hand, we meet Henry, Prince of England, and Alex’s arch-enemy. After a public disagreement, the two are forced to spend a weekend together to show the world that they are best friends.

This book is the definition of a roller coaster ride. You fall in love right from the start, have fun with the interactions between the characters, and get excited about the plot of the story. It is one of the few books in which I would give anything to have the feeling of reading “Red, White & Royal Blue” for the first time again.

Screen Shot 2021 11 22 at 41949 PM?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Amazon.com

THEY BOTH DIE AT THE END – Adam Silvera

“There are questions I cannot answer. I can’t tell you how you’re going to survive without me. I can’t tell you how you must mourn my death. I can’t convince you not to feel guilty and forget about the anniversary of my death, or to realize that you’ve gone weeks or months without thinking about me. I just want you to live.”

Of course, a romance with a bit of emotion couldn’t be missing… well, in this case, a lot of emotion. In the novel written by Adam Silvera, a very popular author of new adult novels focusing on LGBTQI+ characters, Mateo Torrez and Rufus Emeterio receive a call from Death Central with the news that they are both going to die in 24 hours. Thanks to an app, Mateo and Rufus meet for one last great adventure: to live a whole life in a single day.

By the title alone, I would recommend reading the book with a box of tissues, because, from my own experience, I was moved from beginning to end. Adam reminds us what it means to be alive, that every second matters, and that everything can change in a single day.

LOVELESS – Alice Oseman

“How much longer will she have to wait for her happily ever after?

Another book by Osman is not well known by people, but worth mentioning for dealing with asexuality. Our protagonist, Georgia, never fell in love, never kissed, never even had a flirt, but she is an eternal romantic in love with fanfics, she is sure that one day she will meet someone. However, upon entering university, she begins to question how love can seem so easy for others, but so impossible for her.

If I could put Alice Oseman on a pedestal to look up to 24 hours a day, I would. The author shows us that we don’t need to be in a relationship to know love, it is everywhere and in different equally important ways. Oseman adds a learning look that we are unaware of.

1+1 – a matemática do amor – Augusto Alvarenga e Vinícius Grossos

“I think that night there were stars inside me”

Written by two young Brazilians, it tells about the discovery of sexuality. The protagonists, Bernardo and Lucas, are neighbors and grew up together, until the moment when Bernardo’s parents decide to move to Portugal as soon as the holidays are over. He is mad with the situation, while Lucas only thinks about turning these last moments together into the best moments of their lives.

Vinicius and Augusto present us with a book about the journey of discovering yourself, about feeling and loving, regardless of prejudice. And the authors build this novel in a “silent” way, through the touch and look between the characters. “1+1 – A Matemática do Amor” will prove to you that love is not something exact, that it is human, and that it can be interpreted and lived in different ways. It will prove to you that 1+1 is equal to 1.

Felix EVER AFTER – Kacen Callender

“I kind of wish we could exist without having to worry about fitting into categories.”

Felix Love is a 17-year-old teenager who dreams of loving and being loved but knows that being black, queer, and transgender isn’t always easy. His fear of being marginalized becomes real when a student publishes several photos of Felix before transitioning, and he begins to receive several transphobic messages. With a suspect in mind, he decides to take revenge – but not everything goes as expected.

“Felix Ever After” is a book that everyone should read. Only in it do we have questions about gender identity, labels, class issues, representation, and parental abandonment. In addition, we find a lot of the experiences of Kacen Callender, who was also designated female at birth, in Felix, making the story much more honest and real. However, the essence of the book is the love we allow ourselves to receive because life is the truth and intensity of the love we give and receive.

————————-

The article above was edited by Giullia Cartaxo and translated by Isadora Costa.

Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Casper Libero for more!

Marina Olim

Casper Libero '25

18y Journalism – Cásper Líbero coffe & books "Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of hurting and healing" – Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, J.K. Rowlling