“BlacKkKlansman”: The Most Important Film Of The Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Spike Lee, director known for addressing racism in his films, once again surprised to talk about the ideology of white supremacy, in the U.S. in mid-1970, in the film BlacKkKlansman.

The story is based on real facts experienced by Ron Stallworth (John David Washington), one of the only black police officers in the country who infiltrated the Ku Klux Klan through phone calls and had one of their white profession partners, Flip Zimmerman (Adam Driver), to act as himself on in-person meetings.

Image Source: IMDB

Ron’s goal was to understand the perverse mind of serial killers and how far they are able to go to achieve racial purity. Meanwhile, in the middle of the road, he hangs out with students descended from the Black Panthers and falls in love with one of the leaders of the black movement, who makes clear her contempt for the police forces that abuse the authority to subjugate the black population.

At this moment, it is planted the seed of the doubt about his role in society.

Image Source: IMDB

In the plot there are no excesses or absences. The film reveals humor in ideal scenes, like those that Ron needs not only to go through a white, as well as hate them, and strong in necessary scenes that make us think of how hatred is built based on prejudice.

At closure, laughter has no more space in the cinemas that begin to perceive the similarity of the history with the current context and, moreover, a much more than fictitious threat. A more necessary movie than we’d like.

Clara Serranoni

Casper Libero '21

Clara is a 20 year old from Sao Paulo, Brazil, who studies Journalism at Casper Libero University. She is an avid traveler and obsessed with TV shows and music.
Camille Carboni

Casper Libero '19

Senior at Cásper Líbero University, majoring in Journalism and Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus. Proudly a cat person, tea and french desserts addicted and specially in love with cinnamon. Deeply crazy about maps and everything travel related, so if you wanna catch my attention, you should know airports will always be my favorite places on earth.