Wellness > Health

Baby It’s Cold Outside: 5 Easy Recipes To Warm Up On Cold Days

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Winter has just arrived! And, even though, in tropical countries like ours, the cold is not usually so freezing, any drop in temperature is an excuse to explore warm delights in the kitchen. Her Campus Casper Libero prepared a compilation of comforting, delicious and super easy recipes for you to try in the coldest time of the year! Check them out below and enjoy:

Oven-baked rice

A super simple Brazilian classic, which consists of reusing rice and the “mixtures” left over from the day before in a creative and super delicious meal!

Ingredients:

– 3 cups of cooked rice

– Chopped vegetables (you can include corn, peas, potatoes and carrots, for example)

– 1 cooked and shredded chicken breast

– 2 diced chopped tomatoes

– 1 medium onion, chopped into slices

– 1 cup of cottage cheese

– ½ cup of potato straw 

– ½ cut of grated mozzarella cheese

– 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce

– 1 tablespoon of oil

– Salt and black pepper to taste

Preparation mode

First, mix all the chopped vegetables with the cooked rice, without heating, and set aside. In another pan, saute the onion in oil, add the chopped tomato, the shredded chicken breast and the two tablespoons of tomato sauce. Season it with salt and pepper to taste. In an ovenproof dish, make three layers: the first one of the rice mixed with the vegetables; the second one of cottage cheese; and, the third one, of sauce. Repeat the same sequence again and again, ending with a last layer of rice. Over the finished layers, spread the shoestring potato and grated cheese. Place it in a medium oven for a maximum of 15 minutes, or in a microwave on high power for a maximum of six minutes. And it’s ready to consume!

Bolinho de chuva

Another Brazilian classic with a flavour that recalls childhood… Nothing better than a fritter covered by sugar and cinnamon to sweeten and warm the winter days!

Ingredients:

– 2 eggs

– ½ cup of sugar

– 1 ¼ cup of milk

– 3 cups of wheat flour

– 1 teaspoon of chemical baking powder

– Oil to fry

– Sugar and powdered cinnamon to sprinkle

Preparation mode

In a bowl, mix all the ingredients together until a smooth dough is formed. Take spoonfuls of the dough and fry it in hot oil, one by one, until browning. Drain them on absorbent paper, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon and serve! This recipe yields five portions!

Green broth with cassava

Is there something more wintry than soup? And this has a special and super nutritive national ingredient: the cassava (or mandioca, in clear Brazilian portuguese).

Ingredients:

– 700 grams of cassava pieces

– 1 tablespoon of oil

– 1 small grated onion

– 1 sliced paio

– 2 cups of slim sliced cabbage

– Salt and black pepper to taste

Preparation mode

Place the cassava in a pressure cooker and cover with water and salt. Cook for 30 minutes after starting the pressure and turn off. Relieve the pressure under tap water and open it. Heat another pan with the oil and, there, saute the onion and the paio for five minutes. Remove the filaments from the cassava and beat it in a blender with the cooking water until obtaining a medium thickness broth. Pour into the paio pan and bring to a boil. Add the cabbage and cook for five minutes. Season it with salt and pepper and serve.

Cheese fondue

Cold weather calls for fondue! Learn how to homemake it:

Ingredients:

– 1 cup of dry white wine

– 200 grams of heavy cream

– 200 grams of grated emmental cheese

– 200 grams of grate gruyére cheese

– Ground black pepper and grated nutmeg to taste

– 1 halved garlic clove

– Diced Italian bread

Preparation mode

Bring the wine to a boil over low heat. Add the heavy cream and mix it. After, add the two types of cheese, the pepper and the nutmeg and let it cook until the cheese melts. Reserve. Rub the garlic into the fondue pan. Pour the cheese cream into this pan and place it in a rechaud (a refractory that has a candle or any other heat source at its base, and thus keeps the pan constantly warm). Serve with the bread.

Cassoulet

This recipe is a gastronomic specialty of French origin, which can be described as a white bean stew with various types of beef. Delicious, practical and warm!

Ingredients:

– 500 grams of white beans

– 500 grams of your favorite type of beef

– 1 pepperoni sausage

– 2 paios

– 200 grams of bacon

– 6 chopped tomatoes

– 3 onions

– 1 cup of chopped coriander

– 2 bay leaves

– Garlic, pepper and salt to taste

Preparation mode: 

Soak beans overnight. Saute in a pressure cooker two chopped onions, garlic and other spices of your choice – all together with the cut meat. Add hot water and put it on pressure. Once the pressure is on, add the beans, the paio, the sausages cut into slices and the chopped bacon. Cook. Add the chopped onion, garlic and the chopped ripe tomatoes. Saute over low heat until the sauce is fine. Finally, add coriander and serve.

Well, now you have the complete ammunition to get through the cold that awaits us in comfort and with a full stomach. You just have to choose which of these recipes you will try first… Hope you enjoy it!

——————————————————————————-

The article above was edited by Helena Leite

Like this type of content? Follow Her Campus Cásper Líbero for more! 

Helena Cardoso

Casper Libero '21

A journalism student who loves musical theater and dreams about living in Disney World.