womens history month?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
womens history month?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Culture > News

Ask a Collegiate | Women in Leadership: Countries Have Better Results Against COVID-19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Through the Coronavirus pandemic, we have been seen a great highlight over the health system, therefore, the medical professionals. Women represent 70% of all the Health professionals around the world. However, when it comes to politics, they were only ten from the 153 leaders of states elected, in 2018, according to the Inter-Parliamentary Union. 

This means that only one quarter of the Parliamentary members of the whole world are women. 

Ok, that said, we are seen the performance of this small amount of women leadership be impeccable during this time of crises. According to Rosie Campbell, director of the Global Institute for Women’s Leadership at King’s College London, in an interview to BBC: “According to the way we are socialized, it is more acceptable for women to be more empathetic and collaborative leaders. And unfortunately, there are more men who fall into the narcissistic and hypercompetitive category”. 

Now, what are those leaders really doing? 

Angela Merkel, Germany

Germany was one of the countries strongly hit by the pandemic, however, the prime minister Angela Merkel arranged several tests for the population, offered millions of ICU beads and prepared their health professionals with essential equipment, to assure their own safety. She followed the recommendations of World Health Organization. Germany has a low mortality rate, around 1,6% of the cases. 

Tsai Ing-wen, Taiwan

Taiwan is a province from China, legally the region still belongs to the country, but they have a strong independence movement and work as a sovereign country. Right when the outbreak started, Tsai Ing-wen created a center to control epidemics and started to monitor everyone that arrived from China, days before the World Health Organization even declared that the virus was contagious among humans. Two months before the official declaration of pandemic, she had already created 124 measures to control the dissemination. 

Jacinda Arden, New Zealand 

The prime minister, Jacinda Ardern made a fast and strict call to close all the borders and adopt the isolation as master rule. The goal was to eliminate and not not control it. For that, Jacinda elaborated a great Communications channel with the population, to make them understand why it was all necessary, in addition to the mass testing strategy. Since the start of the virus in New Zealand, today there are only 20 deceased. 

Sanna Marin, Finland 

The youngest head of state on the world. Sanna Marin is using all the power that internet can give, doing partherneships with digital influencers and campaigning through social media. In addition to that, her government is offering free tests to all the population, those with or without symptoms. 

—————————————————————-

The article above was edited by Laura Ferrazzano

Like this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero for more!

Carolina Rodrigues

Casper Libero '21

I'm a journalist that is trying to discover new things. I had great international experiences and would like to share my thoughts, and I will also write about everything that I find interesting. Hope you all like it.
cuore in allarme journalist, writer, artist and everything else in between ✉ laurapferrazzano@gmail.com