#9 TV Shows With Halloween Specials You Should Watch This October

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

With the end of October and the Spooky Season arriving, it’s time to choose your favorite costume and watch the best Halloween episodes of TV shows! Here’s a list of the audience’s favorite Halloween specials.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Netflix):

Brooklyn Nine-Nine won the audience by featuring a fun team of detectives and police officers solving the crimes of New York City. The sitcom launched in 2013 and, after 8 seasons, came to an end in August 2022.

In the first season, after a bet between Captain Raymond Holt (Andre Braugher) and Detective Jake Peralta (Andy Samberg), the detective has until 00:00 to steal an item from the captain. This is how the famous Halloween Heist begins, a special episode present in all seasons of the series, that ends up involving all the characters in this contagious dispute to celebrate Halloween.

Check out the special Halloween episodes here: S01 E06 / S02 E04 / S03 E05 / POS04 E06 / S05 E04 / S06 E16 / S07 E11 / S08 E09

Friends (HBO Max):

In Friends, one of the most famous sitcoms of the 90s, six friends face life – with a lot of humor – in New York, and love spending their free time at the Central Perk cafe.

In 10 years on the air, The One With the Halloween Party it’s the only episode set during Halloween. Monica (Courtney Cox) decides to throw a last-minute party and she insists everyone comes in a costume. She dresses up as Catwoman, Phoebe (Lisa Kudrow) dresses up as Supergirl, Chandler (Matthew Perry) is a pink bunny, Ross (David Schwimmer) is a “potato satellite”, Joey (Matt LeBlanc) dresses up as Chandler and Rachel (Jennifer Aniston) wears a normal dress because she’s pregnant and knows she won’t be able to wear it for much longer.

Despite the plot not being one of the most animated – maybe because it is the only Halloween episode in 10 seasons -, it has the hearts of the fans.

Check out the special Halloween episode here: S08 E06

Modern Family (STAR+):

The series features a hilarious – and unconventional – family. Over the course of 11 seasons, the sitcom reached the hearts of the public for the comical cast, with names like Sofia Vergara and Jesse Tyler Ferguson.

Modern Family’s 7 Halloween episodes are memorable and loved by the audience and the show’s characters themselves – Halloween is Claire Dunphy’s (Julie Bowen) favorite holiday.

Check out the special Halloween episodes here: S02 E06 / S04 E05 / S06 E06 / S08 E05 / S09 E05 / S10 E05 / S11 E05

How I Met Your Mother (Amazon Prime Video):

How I Met Your Mother is an American sitcom that was released in 2005 and ended in 2014. The series shows Ted Mosby (Josh Radnor), in 2030, telling his children the story of how he met their mother, along with countless hilarious situations featuring his cast of friends: Barney (Neil Patrick Harris), Lily (Alyson Hannigan), Marshall (Jason Segel) and Robin (Cobie Smulders).

HIMYM was always down to celebrate a holiday, from New Year’s Eve to St. Patrick’s Day to Christmas. Surprisingly, the sitcom didn’t feature too many Halloween celebrations, but there are memorable Halloween episodes – and costumes, like the Slutty Pumpkin.

Check out the special Halloween episodes here: S01 E06 / S06 E07 / S07 E08

Pretty Little Liars (HBO Max):

Launched in 2010, PLL gathered a massive amount of teenage fans at the time. After three years of Alison’s (Sasha Pieterse) disappearance, Spencer (Troian Bellisario), Aria (Lucy Hale), Hanna (Ashley Benson) and Emily (Shay Mitchell), now in high school, have a new challenge: unraveling anonymous messages, signed by “A”, threatening to spill their secrets.

Despite several other creepy episodes, the Halloween specials can be even more bizarre – always with amazing costumes.

Check out the special Halloween episodes here: S02 E13 / S03 E13 / S04 E13

Stranger Things (Netflix):

One of the biggest series of the present time could not be left out of this list. Stranger Things has big names in the cast, like Millie Bobby Brown and Finn Wolfhard, and presents a group of friends who get involved in a series of supernatural events in the town of Hawkins. They face monstrous creatures, secret government agencies and venture into parallel dimensions.

The Halloween episode Trick or Treat, Freak is full of suspense and iconic costumes, like those worn by the main characters, who dress up as Ghostbusters.

Check out the special Halloween episode here: S02 E02

Glee (Disney+):

Glee is one of the iconic series of the 2000s, portraying a diverse group of students coming together to form the Glee Club, the McKinley High School choir.

For those who like musicals, the special Halloween episode of Glee is a must-see: In The Rocky Horror Glee Show, the group participates in a montage of The Rocky Horror Picture Show – a 1973 musical comedy horror – as the school’s annual musical.

Check out the special Halloween episode here: S02 E05

The Simpsons: Treehouse of horror (Disney+):

Halloween is also celebrated in the cartoon world. For almost as long as The Simpsons has been on TV screens, the show has aired a special run of Halloween-themed episodes: Treehouse of Horror, also known as The Simpsons Halloween Specials.

The original Treehouse of Horror episode aired on October 25, 1990. As of 2021, there are thirty-two Treehouse of Horror episodes, with one airing every year. The first one features various parodies to classic horror stories, including The Amityville Horror and Poltergeist. The 2022 episodes will be released on October 22nd and it has already been revealed that they will be related to contemporary classics such as It (Stephen King) and Death Note.

iCarly (Netflix):

Recalling the old days, iCarly was an icon in the lives of Gen Z kids. Despite being finished in 2012, the series is still one of Nickelodeon’s highest-rated series and also one of the most memorable teen shows of all time. The story presents the life of Carly Shay (Miranda Cosgrove) and Sam Puckett (Jenette McCurdy), two 13-year-old best friends who accidentally become internet stars when they decide to create a show called iCarly.

In this nostalgic vibe, it’s good to remember the only halloween episode of the series: in iScream on Halloween Carly and Sam do a special Halloween show in a supposedly haunted house.

Check out the special Halloween episode here: S01 E07

———-

The article above was edited by Juliana Sanches.

Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Cásper Líbero for more!

Leticia Baggio

Casper Libero '25

journalism student passionate about books, movies and Harry Styles