7 Recipes To Practice With Ingredients That You Have Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The social isolation caused by the pandemic of the new coronavirus has made people to adapt their routines. Now, as a safety measure, we need to avoid leaving our homes as much as possible and to protect ourselves even simple walks, like going to the market, are not recommended.

However, all of this does not mean that you cannot innovate or perhaps learn delicious recipes to make during quarantine. That’s why we decided to choose seven very simple meals that you can make with the ingredients you have at home!

Mac n’ Cheese

Ingredients

● 2 cups of milk

● 2 cups of pasta

● 1 cup of cheddar cheese

Instructions

In a medium saucepan, bring the milk and pasta to a simmer over medium heat. Cook for about 20 minutes, stirring often and making sure that the milk doesn’t boil.

Once the pasta is al dente, remove it from the heat and add the cheese. Stir until melted. If you like it a little creamier, you can add more milk. Add salt to taste.

Homemade Tortillas

Ingredients

● 2 cups all-purpose flour

● 1/2 teaspoon salt

● 3/4 cup water

● 3 tablespoons olive oil

Instructions

In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Stir in water and oil. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10-12 times, adding a little flour or water if needed to achieve asmooth dough. Let it rest for 10 minutes. Divide the dough into 8 portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 7-in circle.

In a greased cast-iron or other heavy skillet, cook tortillas over medium heat until lightly browned, 1 minute on each side. Keep it warm.

Shortbread Cookies

Ingredients

● 1/2 cup powdered sugar

● 2 sticks real salted butter if using unsalted butter, add a tiny pinch of salt

● 2 cups flour

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 350°. Cream together the butter and the sugar. Once blended, add the flour. Continue to mix together until the mixture becomes a soft dough (it’ll be crumb like at the beginning…keep mixing and it will turn into a dough. If needed, add 1-2 tablespoons of water).

Roll the dough out onto a slightly floured surface until 1/4 inch thick. Cut into rounds and place on a parchment or a silpat lined baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until it gets golden brown.

Nutella Brownies

Ingredients

● 1 1/4 cup Nutella

● 2 large eggs

● 1/2 cup all purpose flour

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 inch x 9 inch metal baking pan. Add all ingredients into a large bowl and mix until the batter is smooth. Pour into baking pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake for about 15 minutes until the toothpick inserted comes out clean. Be careful not to bake too long otherwise brownies will dry out. Let the brownies cool and set before cutting and serving.

Strawberry Sorbet

Ingredients

● 1 lb strawberry(455 g)

● ¼ cup honey(85 g)

Instructions

Hull the strawberries by using a straw to push out the stem of each strawberry. Cut the strawberries in half and place them on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and freeze it until hardened.

Add the frozen strawberries and the honey to a food processor and combine them until they are evenly mixed. Transfer it to a loaf pan and it goes back to freezer until it is completely frozen.

Chocolate Cake

Ingredients

● 4 eggs, whites and yolks separated

● 9 oz semi sweet chocolate (255 g)

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 325˚F (170˚C). Place the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and melt it completely, 1 minute should be enough. Separate the egg the yolks and the egg whites. Using a hand mixer, whisk the whites until soft peaks form. Add the yolks, one by one, into the bowl of chocolate, whisking to combine.

Using a rubber spatula, gently puts ⅓ of the egg whites into the yolk and the chocolate mixture. Repeat with the remaining egg whites, adding ⅓ at a time. Pour the batter in a greased 6-inch (15 cm) cake mold. Bake for 30 minutes. Once the cake is cool to the touch, gently invert it onto a plate.

Optional: Sprinkle with powdered sugar, slice and serve it with ice cream or with a seasonal fruit.

Easy pasta

Ingredients

● 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (100 g)

● 1 egg yolk

Instructions

Add the mozzarella to a bowl and microwave it for 1-2 minutes, until it is melted. Allow the mozzarella to cool for 30 seconds. With a spatula, gently fold the egg yolk into the cheese. Turn the mixture out onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Place another piece of parchment paper on top of the dough and press down with your hand until it is thin.

Remove the top piece of parchment and cut the dough into thin strips. Place the “pasta” on a rack and refrigerate for four hours or overnight. Place the “pasta” in boiling water for one minute. Drain into a colander and run cool water over the pasta to prevent sticking. Serve it with your favorite sauce and toppings.

—————————————————————–

The article above was edited by Gabriela Sartorato.  

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Journalism student, born and raised in São Paulo. 
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.