6 Places in São Paulo to Get In Touch With the Middle Eastern Culture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The countries from the Middle East are best known for their representation in movies and TV shows, as well as for their political conflicts. But most people don’t know about the beautiful culture and its presence in our daily lives. Food, architecture and religion are some of the most common things to see, but there is so much more to know. Here is a list of where you can learn more about the Middle Eastern culture in São Paulo:

Manish

This is a well known restaurant for its great arabic cuisine. Located in Itaim Bibi, Manish is built with traditional architecture from Arab culture (which is a representation of their understanding of the Quran, the muslim sacred book). It is a place where you, not only, eat traditional food from the Middle East, but also have a whole sensorial experience from their culture, such as taste and smell from the food and visuals from the restaurant’s environment.

Emporio Syrio

Trading is a really big part of Middle Eastern culture. Founded in 1924 by a Lebanese immigrant, Emporio Syrio is a place to buy all kinds of products related to Arab cuisine. Realizing the lack of places to buy seasoning, fruits and other products from his culture, Wadih Cury built this market where people from the Arab community could buy quality food to feel more at home and well represented.

Al Janiah

Al Janiah is a restaurant and cultural center founded by a palestinian immigrant and it sticks with his Middle Eastern roots. Beside the traditional cooking, most of the workers are from the Arab community, meaning that the food is prepared by natives of this culture. The restaurant is an amazing place to learn (and taste) the Middle Eastern culture, which is usually misrepresented.

Brasserie Victoria

Founded in 1947 by Victoria Feres, a Lebanese woman who came to Brazil when she was 13, Brasserie Victoria is a restaurant of Middle Eastern cuisine that Feres learned with her mother. The establishment was run by her until her death (around 1990) and is now administered by her children. Being known for its kebab (a dish made of meat or vegetables grilled on a skewer) and malfouf (a rolled up cabbage leaf that can be stuffed with meat, vegetables and even grape leaves), the restaurant is the perfect place to honor the memory of the Middle Eastern immigrants and cherish their culture.

Mesquita Brasil

Even though the Middle East has multiple religions, the Islamic beliefs are a very strong part of their culture. Religion is one of the most important aspects of these countries, being the place where the three biggest religions were born: Islamism, Judaism and Christianism. Mesquita Brasil was built in 1929, being the oldest muslim temple in Brazil. It is important to dress accordingly when visiting as a respect for the Islamic religion. 

Maxifour

Like Emporio Syrio, Maxifour is a place to buy products from Middle Eastern cuisine. With authentic Lebanese food, the market was founded in 1990 by a Lebanese immigrant, Farid Mekhael Kheir. It is a popular place to buy different types of seasoning and snacks from people from the  Middle East. Nowadays, Maxifour is located in three areas of São Paulo: Moema, Indianápolis and Brás.

———————————-

The article below was edited by Camila Lutfi.

Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Cásper Líbero for more!

Marcela Malafaia

Casper Libero '26

First year as a journalism student at Faculdade Cásper Líbero.