6 Books You Should Read If You Are In Your 20’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

It’s a consensus that the 20s are a complicated moment in life. Filled with conflicts, doubts, and news, at this age, several questions always arise, both individual and collective.

Despite being similar for everyone in these aspects, on the other hand, each person can also be at completely different times in their life. While some wonder if the chosen college course was the best, others are already forming their families and creating their careers. However, regardless of the phase you are in in your 20s, you must see your trajectory as unique, without comparing it to others.

Thinking about giving you some inspiration and affection, we separate a list of 6 books that young adults should read. What do you think about seeing this phase with much more tenderness, while still reflecting on its complexities?

Everything I Know About Love

The success of 2022 – mainly on social media –, this book shows the trajectory of the author, Dolly Alderton, from her adolescence to adult life. However, despite appearing to be an autobiography, the book looks more like a diary, since the author tells details of stories that are impossible not to identify.

With intriguing moments that walk peacefully between sadness and happiness, the book certainly translates and exemplifies the maturation process beautifully.

Little Women

This classic is definitely one of the best books to read as a young adult. In it, we are introduced to the stories of four sisters – Jo, Meg, Amy, and Beth –, and follow their maturing processes as the United States faces a Civil War. Launched in 1868, it still opens space for discussion about the role imposed on women at the time and the importance of exercising their ways uniquely. Although old, its history is still very similar to contemporaneity.

Pequena Coreografia do Adeus

In free translation, “Little Farewell Choreography” is a beautiful and painful portrait of a woman’s life. With her unique narrative, Aline Bei tells the story of Júlia who amid the conflicting relationship of her divorced parents seeks to get rid of family traumas, while resuming moments of childhood and adolescence, in addition to dreaming about her future.

Primeiro Eu Tive Que Morrer

Lorena Portela’s debut novel – in free translation “First I Had to Die” – is titled “an inventory of the self-discovery of a woman who never pictured herself as lost”. Based on this premise it is easy to imagine that the book portrays several conflicts of contemporary women and challenges the world in which they are inserted. Portrayed in Northeast Brazil, it is an encounter with the feminine.

Home Body

We already know that Rupi Kaur is always able to touch us in unique places with her poems. From the longest to the shortest, the author can translate unique pains into her words, generating great identification in everyone who reads her works. This was no different in “Home Body”. Launched in 2020, the author’s third book leads each reader to carry out a conversation with herself, through a reflection between intimacy and feelings.

The Hour of the Star

The novel, written by Clarice Lispector and published in 1977, portrays the story of Macabéa, a young orphan from Northeast Brazil who moves to Rio de Janeiro, where she starts working as a typist. However, as Clarice’s work always has a unique and thought-provoking touch, this one portrays the creation of the writer Rodrigo S. M., who, awaiting death, narrates the girl’s story. Launched shortly before her death, in addition to the portrait of Macabéa, “The Hour of the Star” is also a process of Clarice’s revelation, where she shows how her creation is made and all the anguish she has in the face of life and of death.

Did you know any of these works? They are definitely on our list of life favorites, as they inspire us in unique ways.

The article above was edited by Giullia Cartaxo.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero’s home page for more!

Fernanda Alves

Casper Libero '25

Future journalist, writer in training and lover of culture.