This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

According to “Coffee Consumption Survey” taken by Tchibo (Europe’s #1 Coffeehouse), 37% of coffee consumers reported they have been drinking more coffee per week since the Covid-19 outbreak. Besides, 73% of coffee drinkers reported that they have been making way more coffee at home since the beginning of the pandemic.

Those changes sparked a new trend of making coffee at home, and this reflected on how coffee making is portrayed in social media. Yannis Apostolopoulos, the CEO and Executive Director of the Specialty Coffee Association (SCA), says that “I think people are trying to create the quality of the beverages they are enjoying in a coffee shop. That leads to investing more in better equipment that can produce similar and consistent results”.

The need for more coffee and the impossibility of leaving home during pandemic created not only new trends focusing on cute instagramable coffees that are also simple and can be made at home, but also coffee superstars. Influencers like Emma Chamberlain (@chamberlaincoffee on Instagram) created their own coffee lines, but some were born out of the coffee rise on social media. The best example for it is Morgan Eckroth (@morgandrinkscoffee on TikTok). Creating videos about her daily work as a barista as well as teaching different recipes for her viewers to try at home, she conquered more than 5 million fans, her own cafeteria, and launched a coffee brand with her own name. And the first recipe selected for this article is hers:

Cinnamon Roll Latte

Ingredients:

– Brown sugar (2 teaspoon)

– Vanilla Extract (¾ teaspoon)

– Espresso or coffee (2 shots)

– Cinnamon (to taste)

– Steamed or cold milk of choice (to taste)

– Ice (optional)

Recipe:

– Add the brown sugar and the vanilla extract to the bottom of a cup and stir until the vanilla dissolves the sugar;

– Add the two shots of espresso and stir. After that, sprinkle the cinnamon and stir again;

– Add the desired quantity of milk and garnish with a dash of brown sugar and more cinnamon. If you like your coffee iced, add ice.

You can check the original recipe by Morgan here.

Dalgona Coffee

You can’t talk about coffee trends, especially during the pandemic, without mentioning this fluffy whipped latte that took over the internet around April 2021. It got famous for being pretty, photogenic, vegan, and super easy to make – you just need a little patience if you decide to whisk by hand.

Ingredients:

You need equal parts of all the three ingredients, the recommended for an individual recipe are 2 teaspoons.

– Soluble coffee (2 teaspoon)

– Sugar (2 teaspoon)

– Water (2 teaspoon)

– Milk (to taste)

– Ice (to taste)

Recipe:

– Add the coffee, sugar and water to a bowl and mix until it turns into a fluffy and smooth light-brown mixture (you can use a mixer or whisk it manually);

– In a cup, add the milk and the ice, and pour over your coffee mixture. It should float above the milk;

– Take your pictures and mix the beverage to drink it.

Vanilla Cold Brew

A cold brew is a type of coffee that brews in cold water. But considering the cold water doesn’t extract the flavors the same way hot water does, you need to leave the coffee in contact with the water for 18 to 24 hours. It makes the beverage stronger and more caffeinated, but way less acidic than a traditional hot water coffee.

Ingredients (and what you’ll need):

– Coffee grounds (¼ cup per bundle)

– Water (1 cup per bundle)

– Coffee filters

– Vanilla bean (1) or vanilla extract (1 teaspoon)

– Twine

Recipe:

– Add ¼ cup coffee grounds in a coffee filter, and tie it close with the twine, creating a bundle. Add how many bundles you wish to make in a jar that can be closed;

– Add one cup of water per bundle inside the jar, submerging the bundles;

– Add the vanilla to the mixture, close the jar and let it brew for 18 to 24 hours.

Vietnamese Iced Coffee (Cà Phê Sữa Dá)

Vietnam is a country with a strong coffee tradition, harvesting large amounts of coffee every year, although the type of coffee bean that is most common in Vietnam is Robusta – which is considered lower quality coffee bean than the Arabica – it contains twice the caffeine. When Vietnam was still a British colony, the access to fresh dairy was hard and expensive, and a high sugar content preserves sweetened condensed milk, making it easier to store and transport. That’s why Vietnamese coffee is made with condensed milk.

Ingredients:

– Ground Vietnamese coffee or whatever coffee you have at home (4 tablespoons)

– Hot water (2 and ½ cups)

– Sweetened condensed milk (to taste)

– Ice (to taste)

Recipe:

– Pour the condensed milk into the bottom of a tall glass and add the ice;

– Place the coffee in your filter of choice, and pour the hot water over it, letting it drip into a container;

– Add the coffee to the cup and mix.

Japanese Coffee Jelly

Coffee jelly is a dessert made from black coffee and gelatin. Common in British and American cookbooks, it gained popularity in Japan in the 1960s. It recently became a trend on TikTok for being Saiki’s favorite dessert in the anime The Disastrous Life of Saiki K., on Netflix, and a lot of creators decided to try and make this rather easy sweet.

Ingredients: 

– Unflavored gelatin powder (1 tablespoons)

– Water (¼ cup)

– Strong black coffee (2 cups)

– Sugar (2 tablespoons) 

– Whipped cream (optional)

Recipe:

– In a bowl, combine the gelatin powder and the water (don’t worry, it will dissolve later);

– Add the coffee and the sugar to a pan and bring it to a near boil over medium heat;

– Cut the heat and whisk the gelatin mixture until it dissolves. Set aside and let it cool;

– Pour the coffee jelly mixture into a bowl or a shallow baking dish and refrigerate for at least 5 hours or until set;

– Top with whipped cream if desired. You can serve in the bowl, remove it from the mold or cut it into little squares.

——————————————————-

The article above was edited by Nicole Leslie.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero’s home page for more!

Giulia Deker

Casper Libero '23

I am a Brazilian college student, and an amateur writer. My major is journalism and I’m passionate for true crime and adherent of the new journalism method.