It is a divulgation photo (Netflix and iMDB) of Rory Gilmore in Gilmore Girls
Warner Bros. Television

#5 Lessons that Rory Gilmore Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Have you ever listened about Gilmore Girls? Yes, is a typical American TV show about a mother, her daughter and all their amazing and ordinary lives. The most incredible thing about it is that you really feel part of the story, because the plot fits perfectly with our lives. 

There were many moments watching that I felt like Rory Gilmore, and I started to think “what should I’ve done if I was her?”, and then I really lived the same situation in my life, and thought “what Rory would do?”: It’s because of a lot of situations like this that I’m writing this article.

SPOILER ALERT: If you haven’t already finished watching Gilmore Girls, its best if you save to read this later.

Now, let’s go to the five lessons:

Dedication

The first thing that I’ve learned with Rory is the importance of study and accomplishing your dreams. She was determined and knows that she deserves the best things that life could give and, because of that, she studied all the time.

In that moment I started to understand that I needed to give the best of me in every little thing that I do – mainly on studies (sometimes I was the laziest person ever).

Family first

Rory and her mother Lorelai were best friends, they were always together, gossiping, just talking, laughing, crying… Of course there were some discussions between them sometimes, but nothing happened that changed their love.

There are times that we have disagreements with our family, but that’s fine, everybody goes through it, what we have to do is never forget the love and the special moments we live together.

Personality

The whole 157 episodes (counting the revival) Rory was the same girl, with big dreams, funny and free spirited. She went through a lot of things, with a lot of people, but she was always Rory, never letting anything changes her personality, and this shows us the importance of being authentic.

Love myself & follow my dreams

I can’t describe the way I cried when Rory said “no” to Logan’s proposal, it was (for me) the saddest episode ever. But then I realize why she did that, and guess what… I cried again.

Her “no” doesn’t meant that she doesn’t loved him anymore, but that she loves herself first. Rory only wanted to be free, to explore the world and enjoy her career, and be married in that moment wouldn’t be what she was asking for.  
Sometimes people are perfect to you in a specific moment and the only thing you can do is enjoy, because you don’t know when it will finish.

With this I’ve learned many things, but the most relevant is that there were moments in our lives that we will need to put our dreams in front of everything, presumably will hurt in that time, but in the right time we will feel complete.

You can’t control the future

When we finished Gilmore Girls we expected so much from Rory, but nobody can control the future and what will happen. In 2016 was released the revival of of the series and the first thing I wanted to know was about Rory’s life.

Of course that I couldn’t believe in what I saw, everything I thought that would happen to Rory doesn’t happen. Her life isn’t what she wanted when she was young. But she was happy, maybe not all the time, but… who is?

We can plan and plan and then things still may not happen the way we planned, but it’s ok. We tried, we gave our best, but some things are not to meant to be, and we need just to respect and accept.

With all my heart I can say that Gilmore Girls scored myself completely, starting from the way I see life, with a lot of humor and love.

——————————————————————-

The article above was edited by Laura Ferrazzano

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero!

Júlia Adefonso

Casper Libero '23

Hi, my name is Júlia Adefonso, I'm a brazilian girl and I'm studying journalism at Cásper Líbero. I'm a very communicative person and I hope that with my texts I could change something in your life.
cuore in allarme journalist, writer, artist and everything else in between ✉ laurapferrazzano@gmail.com