5 Great TV Shows In Spanish To Watch On Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Whether you want to improve your Spanish or just diversify what you’ve been watching, Netflix Spanish TV shows are a good way to go. Even if you don’t know the language, don’t miss the hits from Spain and Mexico that are so good they will make you forget about the language barrier.

Check out these five Spanish Netflix shows to start binge-watching right now!

Las Chicas del Cable

Las Chicas Del Cable was Netflix’s first Spanish production, created by Ramón Campos and Gema R. Neira. The series premiered worldwide in 2017, starring a mostly female cast, with protagonists Ana Fernández García and Maggie Civantos. The storyline narrates the lives of four female workers, from very different backgrounds, and discusses issues such as gender inequality, race, sexuality, and empowerment.

The show is set in 1928 in a telecommunications company that starts operating in Madrid. The main focus is on the difficulties that women who worked as phone operators suffered in the 1920s, but it also follows the personal lives of the characters, portraying their relationship with their fathers, husbands, and teenage loves. All these plots awaken the desire for success, revolution, and love in the characters, but also make them deal with twists and turns of jealousy and betrayal throughout the five seasons.

Madre Solo hay Dos

Madre Solo hay Dos is the perfect show to have a good laugh and chill. In the Mexican Netflix production, Ludwika Paleta and Paulina Goto star in a light and easy-to-watch story. The series premiered in 2021 and its third season has already been confirmed to continue the plot of Ana and Marina, who have their daughters switched at birth.

This exchange is only noticed after both of them have become attached to the babies, and they decide to adjust their lives and form a family to keep in touch with both of them. The problem is: Mariana dropped out of college and has no job, while Ana has an already well-established career and family. The series develops the life and family coexistence of the two and also addresses some important topics such as gender equality and solo motherhood.

La Casa de Papel

This show, launched in 2017, became a phenomenon among the audience, besides breaking several audience records. La Casa de Papel was written by Álex Pina and its 5 seasons are a reference in the genre of drama and crime. It leaves the audience hooked and anxious for the next episodes, in which the plot of eight thieves who broke into the Spanish Mint unfolds.

It all begins when an ambitious man, “El Professor”, recruits several young, money-hungry criminals to teach them the plan for the largest bank heist in history. The team manipulates the authorities and executes a complex and dangerous scheme. But the plot goes beyond the action, diving also into the personal lives of the characters. The show was such a crowd-pleaser that today there is a Korean spin-off, a docu-series about the phenomenon it started, and a behind-the-scenes for those who watched and enjoyed the show.

Vis a Vis

Vis a Vis is a crime television series, that premiered in 2015 on the Spanish channel Antena 3. It features a famous cast with names that also participated in productions like Las Chicas del Cable and La Casa de Papel. The series is set in the prisons of Cruz del Sur and Cruz del Norte, in Spain, and focuses on Maca, a young woman who has to adapt to life as a prisoner.

The protagonist ends up in jail after getting involved with her boss and having her name tied to the tax crimes the man committed. She is taken to serve a seven-year sentence in the women’s penitentiary, where she does everything she can to get the finance money. The series also follows the lives of other female inmates and Maca’s family, who are willing to do anything for their daughter’s freedom. The production has 5 successful seasons and is very acclaimed by those who like Orange is the New Black.

PERDIDA

Those who liked La Casa de Papel and Vis a Vis will definitely enjoy the Spanish investigative show Perdida. The plot features a police investigation full of mysteries and twists. Created by Natxo López for Antena 3, the original broadcaster of La Casa de Papel and Vis a Vis, the series follows the life of a couple who had their daughter kidnapped on a beach in Valencia, southeastern Spain. 

When, thirteen years after the disappearance, Antonio (Daniel Grao) receives an anonymous tip, he orchestrates his own entrance into a Colombian jail to reengage in the investigation of his missing daughter. The father is assisted by his lawyer Milena (Ana María Orozco) and the Spanish prosecutor Eva Aguirre (Melani Olivares). Throughout its 11 chapters, the series unfolds the drama of revealing the true reasons for the kidnapping and may (or may not) reunite a broken family.

The article above was edited by Julia Bonin. Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Cásper Líbero home page for more!

👯‍♀️ Related: “Wednesday”: Is It Really Worth The Hype?
Daniela Clivatti

Casper Libero '25

Journalism student delighted by communication and telling new stories.