photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

5 Destinations Close To São Paulo That Are Worth The Visit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Easter Holiday is really close and everything we can think about is all the chocolate we are going to eat, right? Extremely right! However, what about taking these days of resting and eating out to go on a trip with your family, friends or someone special? If the problem is the short time or money, we have the perfect solution for you: a list with the five coolest cities next to São Paulo. We are sure it will bring something more peculiar to yours days off. Come check it out!

1. Holambra

Image Source: Portal da Cultura Alternativa

Holambra is 130 km away from Sao Paulo, in a small portion of Campinas. The city was named because of the mix between Holanda (Portuguese for Netherlands), America and Brazil. Among its 13.000 residents, about 2.000 are Dutch or direct descendants of the immigrants that first came to Brazil, escaping the Second World War and willing to build a new life here.

Known by its beautiful fields of flowers and ornamental plants, the city is a grateful surprise to everyone who wants to visit it. Holambra has the biggest security index in Brazil and one of the highest levels of wellness in the country! There, you can also find a farm that produces craft cachaça, a brewery that opens up its factory for visitation and country houses that provides ecological trails and tours.

For those who want to know this piece of Netherlands in Brazil, the mandatory stops are: the fields of flowers, the Historical and Cultural Museum of Holambra, the Schornstein Brewery, the Rancho da Cachaça and the candy shop Zoet en Zout.

2. PETAR

Image Source: Creative Commons

The Tourist State Park of Alto Ribeira, most known as PETAR, is one of the most important conservation units in the world! Situated in the South of Sao Paulo, between Apiaí and Iporanga, the park has approximately 350 km² and receives the biggest portion of the preserved Atlantic Forest in Brazil and more than 300 caves.

PETAR also has dozens of trails, traditional communities, waterfalls and archeological spots. It is a real paradise between the mountains! Created by a decree of São Paulo’s Government, in 1958, the park became one of the most favorite places for the practice of some radical sports as abseiling, buoy cross and biking.  

There, you will find thousands of different birds, large mammals and many species of flowers, beyond a huge amount of streams and rivers of transparent waters. The caves offer many levels of challenges, of all kinds. There are since caves with enormous rivers, climbing and diving until little ones that have tourist structures, stairs, runways and bridges.

3. São Francisco Xavier

Image Source: Vamos Pra Onde

The small village of São Francisco Xavier is situated at Serra da Mantiqueira, Sao Paulo state, 55 km away from São José dos Campos. It is a quiet place with leisure options, ecotourism activities and beautiful views! The city is also considered a part of the Federal Environmental Protection and it is localized at 720 meters of altitude.

Between so many natural beauties, the Pedro David Waterfall and the trail to Queixo D’anta are the most famous ones. Recently, the tourism of this little city is getting bigger and, to attend its demand, hotels and hostels offer a large structure of accommodation with chalets equipped with fireplace and hydro. The city is an amazing place for those who want a couple or a family trip!

Those who decide to venture through the small village of São Francisco Xavier have to include into the script the Roncador Waterfall, the Pesqueiro Pantanal, the Environmental Reserve of Santa Barbara, the Equilibrium Portal and the Pedra Vermelha. Oh, the gastronomy at the city is also something else! Save a day to go to the two principals restaurants there: Photozofia and Truta Mariser.

4. Monte Verde

Image Source: Pinterest

Monte Verde is located 166 km away from São Paulo, in Minas Gerais state. The isolation between Serra da Mantiqueira Mountains allied with the generosity of the nature and a variety of restaurants and tours make it a perfect scenario for a calm holiday. 

The city is one of the favorite destinations of the paulistas. There, they can find a cozy refuge for the cold days. The charming Monte Verde fascinates because of its diversity of activities and rustic hotels. Beyond enjoying good fondues, the tourist can also go around driving a quadricycle, doing trails and tree climbing.

The famous Mega Tirolesa, which is 930 meters long, is one of the biggest highlights and pleases adrenaline lovers. For those who enjoy good gastronomy and excellent restaurants, the center of Monte Verde is a mandatory stop! Besides that, at the central part you can find little cute stores that are always full of people where you can find everything: knits, handicrafts, decoration – from the most classic to the most hipsters ones – chocolates, cheeses, drinks and sweets.

5. Campos do Jordão

Image Source: LaBamba Tour

The mountainous city, about 180 km from Sao Paulo, is a mix of cozy hotels with fondue’s restaurants and so many incredibly landscapes. With good gastronomy and lovely architecture, Campos do Jordão is a great option if you enjoy cold weather and outdoor programs!

A mandatory stop is the brewery Baden Baden, one of the most traditional in the city. The Bondinho Turístico is also a nice tour to those who had never been to Campos before. It goes through the main attractions and is made by the friendly red and yellow trams. However, for sure, an unforgettable tour is Morro do Elefante. The view is one of the most beautiful in the city! The famous cable car, which exists for more than 40 years, will lead you to the top of the hill that is 1.800 meters high. It is totally worth it!

Alicia Gouveia

Casper Libero '20

Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.