timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

4 British Female Authors You Should Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

There are amazing female authors out there, so what about getting to know some one them that were born in United Kingdom?

1. Zadie Smith

Image Source: Getty Images

Zadie Smith is an afro-european novelist and essayist. Her first novel was the best-seller White Teeth, written while the author was still studying at Cambridge University and published in 2000. Also, she has two collections of essays, Changing my mind (2009) and Feel free (2018) proving that she’s just as great with literary journalism as with fiction. If you want to get to know her work here’s the link to her most famous essay, Joy (2013)

2. Jane Austen

Image Source: Wikicommons Media

One of the biggest names of the universal literature, Jane Austen died more than 200 years ago and yet her books are still relevant. On her most famous novel, Pride and Prejudice (1813), the main character refuses to marry someone who she´s not in love with, even if that means that her only other option is to become a maid and make her own money. Also, on Sense and Sensibility (1811) the author pointed out the effects that the romantic novels had on the young girls, creating an idealized vision of love.

These are two examples of how Jane was always writing about things that were taboos at the time. Austen herself never got married, but rumor has it that she dated a lot, something unusual for the XVIII century. If you want to read Jane Austen, we’d suggest you to start with Pride and Prejudice: it’s impossible not to fall in love with the story!

3. Sophie Kinsella

Image Source: HELLO! Magazine

Best known as the writer of the Shopaholic series, Sophie has already sold over 40 million books across the world. Also, she has seven novels published under her real name, Madeleine Wickham: one Young Adult novel called Finding Audrey (2015) and an illustrated book for a younger audience called Mummy Fairy and Me (2018). Sophie is the author that we look for when we’re in the mood for a good laugh. Besides, her characters are really relatable. The Undomestic Goddess (2005) and Twenties Girl (2009) are great books if you want to know Sophie’s work better.

4. Agatha Christie

Image Source: The Biography

Agatha Christie is a worldwide famous best-selling author, with over two million books sold. Once you start reading one of Christie’s books you just can’t stop until you’ve finished and the end is never what you though it would be. Agatha has published 66 detective novels and 14 short story collections. Since she has so many books it’s hard to decide where to start. We’d suggest starting by Murder on the Orient Express (1934) that last year was got a movie adaption, directed by Kenneth Branagh, or And then there was none (1939). Agatha died in 1976, but her legacy will certainly live for good.

Beatriz Biasoto

Casper Libero '21

Loves music (from the Beatles to Taylor Swift), photography, Fernando Pessoa´s poetry and watching videos of cats online.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.