Wellness > Health

10 Reasons Why You Should Add Plant-Based Foods Into Your Diet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

When we talk about protein-rich foods, we usually remember foods of animal origin, such as meat, egg, and milk. However, imagine associating these ideas with a diet without animal derivatives, with a protein-based diet made from plants. Next, we will find out 10 reasons why we add plant-based proteins to our diet and why this is a better option for your health and the environment.

#1 Better healthy

In the first place, one of the reasons for which several doctors support the consumption of plant proteins like peas, beans, and chickpeas is that they are high in fiber, while animal proteins have a lot of fat.

Talking about this aspect of health, protein of plant origin is abundant in arginine, a nutrient linked to the improvement of immunity in the body.

#2 Versatile food

Besides, most people who start adhering to plant proteins in the feeding, discover new types of food and different recipes. Often, because the industry doesn’t really encourage the same foods, we end up forgetting other flavors or things we can do with the vegetables, grains, and parts of the food that everyone discards but are full of nutrients. To illustrate this, husks, stalks, and seeds are well off in substance, and they are largely wasted due to a lack of knowledge.

Furthermore, by adding plant-based proteins to your diet, our variety of flavors increases, and we become, making our meals more colorful and healthy.

#3 Practically

As soon as you have embarked on the search for plant protein, you will find there is a whole world of a diverse range of plant proteins, from a breakfast filled with vegetable proteins to a supper meal full of plant derivatives.

Also, all meals can be made with vegetarian proteins, giving many options to eat in daily life.

#4 Plant protein is more sustainable

Therefore, it is not a secret that to produce kilos of animal proteins like meat, tons of water is used. Although, to make vegetable proteins, like beans, just 365 liters are used in 1 kilo of grain. In the meantime, to produce 1 kilo of beef 15,500 liters of water are used.

#5 cheaper alternative

Nowadays, lentils, beans, and other plant-derived proteins are generally the cheapest on the market, compared to a kilo of milk, meat, and eggs, for example. On the other hand, the expense to produce proteins of animal origin exceeds 1 billion dollars per year.

#6 Kinder to animals

As a consequence of the consumption of animal proteins, in the United States, eight billion animals are killed each year in the livestock industry, according to the book “Why we love dogs, eat pork and wear cows”, from Melanine Joy. For this reason, by adding and encouraging a plant-based diet in the population, this number could be reduced, which is better for the planet and the animals.

#7 good for environment

As we have seen, when we consume plant-based proteins in our diet, besides improving our health, we also help the ecosystem of the world. One more example of this is that we can help to stop deforestation in the world.

In that regard, if you didn’t know, half of the world’s rainforest has been destroyed to make pasture to raise cattle to make hamburgers. At least, about 1000 species go extinct each year due to the destruction of rainforests, according to an article posted on the Brazilian blog “Cantinho Vegetariano”.

#8 Better performance at sports

To illustrate this one, we can speak about the seven times “Formula 1” world champion, Lewis Hamilton. In this case, the race driver has deleted every single thing that has an animal origin. He confessed to GQ Hype magazine, in 2020, that since he stopped eating animal derivatives, he “feels much better and willing, besides the organism is in a more excellent manner”. Hence, we can be inspired by Hamilton, who is a huge influence on our lives and has more attractive welfare.

#9 Looking brighter and more hydrated

One more interesting fact to mention is that when we add plant-based diets into our lives, we reduce the presence of oxygen-free radicals, preventing cell damage and, therefore, contributing to the integration of skin cells. Thus, our skin looks healthier and more hydrated.

#10 Plant-based diet and meditation

To sum up, the way we eat influences our entire body. Then, with our concentration of mind, it could not be different. Hence, a study carried out by the University of Oxford shows that people who don’t eat anything of animal origin have a 40% greater chance of better focus on everyday situations than people who consume foods of animal origin. Finally, the way you relate to your mind improves, and your meditation will be much more productive, calm, and happier.

After all, having a plant-based protein diet in your life brings many benefits and awesome things to our health and for the planet.

————————-

This article was written by Ana Alves and edited by Juliana Picanço. Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero’s home page for more!

Ana Paula Alves

Casper Libero

19 years Journalism student at Cásper Líbero I enjoy culture, reading and music!