10 Movies That Will Make You Travel Back In Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Watching historical movies is like stepping into a time machine into the past. Behaviors, costumes, scenarios, political and social disputes. Basically, a portrait of how society worked in periods that helped to build all of our contemporary conceptions. Usually, they are works in which photography stands out and the dialogues refer to a dictionary that is no longer conventional to the present day. Let’s check 10 of them!

300 (2006)

In 480 BC, there was a war between Persia, led by King Xerxes (Rodrigo Santoro), and Greece. In the battle of Thermopylae, Leonidas (Gerard Butler), king of the Greek city of Sparta, leads his disadvantaged warriors against the massive Persian army. Even though they know that certain death awaits them, their sacrifices inspire the whole Greece to unite against their common enemy.

Back to the future (1985)

In the pop classic that marked the youth of many people, Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox) accidentally travels into the past in a DeLorean car, invented by his friend – the scientist Emmett Brown (Christopher Lloyd). There, he meets his parents and almost prevents his own birth by interfering in their first meeting.

BlacKkKlansman (2018)

In 1978, Ron Stallworth, a black Colorado policeman, managed to infiltrate the local Ku Klux Klan. He communicates with the other members of the group through phone calls and letters, and when he needs to be physically present, he sends another white police officer to his place. After months of investigation, Ron is close to the cult leader and responsible for sabotaging a series of lynchings and other hate crimes orchestrated by racists.

Gladiator (2000)

In the final days of Marcus Aurelius (Richard Harris) reign, the emperor arouses the ire of his son Commodus (Joaquin Phoenix) by making public his predilection for leaving the throne to Maximus (Russell Crowe), the commander of the Roman army. Thirsty for power, Commodus kills his father, takes the crown and orders the death of Maximus, who manages to flee before being caught and goes into hiding under the identity of a slave and gladiator from the Roman Empire.

Grease (1978)

California. 1959. Sandy (Olivia Newton-John), the good girl. Danny (John Travolta), the naughty guy. In an unforgettable summer they fall in love. However, when they return to classes, they discover that they attend the same school and, while Danny leads the T-Birds gang, a group that likes leather jackets and a lot of gel in their hair, Sandy spends time with the Pink Ladies, led by firm and sarcastic Rizzo (Stockard Channing). When the two get together, Sandy realizes that Danny is not the one she fell in love with and they both will need to change if they want to be together.

Green Book (2018)

Dr. Don Shirley (Mahershala Ali) is a world-renowned African-American pianist about to embark on a tour of the southern United States in 1962. As he needs a driver and bodyguard, Shirley recruits Tony Lip (Viggo Mortensen), an Italian-American from the Bronx. Despite their differences, the two men develop an unexpected connection when facing racism and the dangers of an era of racial segregation.

Olga (2004)

Berlin. Early 20th century. Olga Benário (Camila Morgado) is a young German Jew. A communist activist, she is pursued by the police and flees to Moscow, where she receives military training and is in charge of accompanying Luís Carlos Prestes (Caco Ciocler) back to Brazil. On the trip, while planning the “Intentona Comunista” against President Getúlio Vargas, the two end up falling in love. Partners in life and politics, Olga and Prestes will have to fight for love, communism and, above all, survival.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)

Los Angeles. 1969. Rick Dalton (Leonardo DiCaprio) is a TV actor who, along with his stuntman, Cliff Booth (Brad Pitt), is determined to make a name for himself in Hollywood. Because of that, he meets many influential people in the film industry, which ultimately leads to the murders carried out by Charles Manson at the time, including the murder of the actress Sharon Tate (Margot Robbie), who at the time was pregnant with director Roman Polanski (Rafal Zawierucha).

The Book Thief (2003)

During World War II, a young girl named Liesel Meminger (Sophie Nélisse) survives outside Munich through the books she steals. Assisted by her adoptive father (Geoffrey Rush), she learns to read and share books with her friends, including a Jewish man (Ben Schnetzer) who lives hidden in her home. While not reading or studying, she performs some tasks for her mother (Emily Watson) and plays with her friend Rudy (Nico Liersch).

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (2008)

The film is the distinct vision of two worlds in the innocent eyes of two children, one of which is of the “Aryan” race and the other is a Jewish descent, in the middle of World War II. Bruno (Asa Butterfield) is eight years old and is the son of an SS officer, who is transferred from Berlin to near a concentration camp. There, he meets Shmuel (Jack Scanlon) without knowing that he is trapped in the camp that is commanded by his father. From this meeting a friendship is born.

The article above was edited by Marina Ponchio. Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Maria Cunha

Casper Libero '23

Journalism student, passionate about cinema and theater. I love my family more than anything in the world and I am grateful to God every day for it. São Paulo and soccer fan. Enthusiast of reality shows and soap operas. ????
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.