This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

During this pandemic, we became increasingly aware that our feelings went through ups and downs. With all this emotional roller coaster, it’s automatic that we try to fill our free time by watching movies that allow us to dive into fictional worlds, which transports us to different realities. In this list, we selected the most outstanding movies to come out this month, so you can relieve the tension and have a little joy in these dark times. 

Every Breath You Take – April 2nd

The feature follows the story of a therapist (Casey Affleck) whose patient commits suicide. When his family meets the patient’s surviving brother (Sam Caflin), his life and career are put in jeopardy. The protagonist starts to suspect that the brother has something to do with his patient’s death, as well as having an affair with both his wife and daughter. This psychological thriller promises to leave the spectator hanging on the edge of the seat, as the characters’ obsessions take over their lives.

Promising Young Woman – April 8th

When Cassie (Carey Mulligan) was in medical school, her best friend was raped. The aggressor was not charged, and they never got the deserved justice. This incident causes the ‘promising young woman’ to drop out of college. Now, she makes justice with her own hands. By going to clubs, pretending to be drunk, and letting the so-called ‘nice guys’ take her to their homes. When they try to take advantage of her, she reveals her sobriety and gets revenge. This black comedy thriller film has earned five nominations for the Oscars this year and has already won many awards such as Critics Choice Awards for best original screenplay and best actress.

Voyagers – April 8th

Described as being “Lord of The Flies in space”, this new futuristic science fiction promises to bring madness and chaos through the screen. When a group of 30 young men and women, bred to suppress emotions and prioritize rationality, are sent into a multi-generational mission in search of a new home, the tension arises. The group – played by Lily-Rose Depp, Tye Sheridan, Colin Farrell, and others – finds out disturbing secrets about the expedition, leading them to confront the rules and explore their most primitive desires. The film guides us through their journey of finding pleasure, control, hunger, and power. Spectators are warned: “Get Ready To Feel Something”.

Chaos Walking – April 8th

Inspired by the Patrick Ness trilogy books, “Chaos Walking” promises to be one of the most outstanding sci-fi adventures of the year. With Tom Holland and Daisy Hidley playing the protagonists, the movie transmits us a futuristic theme, while addressing current issues, such as patriarchal oppression. In this context, “Chaos Walking” proposes a post-apocalyptic reality, where the society was affected by a serious infection, which caused the death of all the women of the planet and, still, the men ended up exposing themselves to a force that makes their thoughts audible, called Noise. Fleeing his city, afraid of total destruction, Todd Hewitt (Tom Holland) meets a girl from another world, Viola (Daisy Ridley), the first woman he has contact with in his life, and promises to take her out of the danger. However, despite the story itself being very attractive, the film received some complaints regarding the development of the emotions of the characters, which, according to critics, was poorly constructed.

Chorão: Marginal Alado – April 8th

For documentary lovers, here comes “Chorão: Marginal Alado”, a Brazilian production that tells the story of the life and death of the singer, songwriter, and skater popularly known as Chorão, who consolidated his artistic career as the leader of one of the most famous rock bands in Brazil’s history: Charlie Brown Jr. The film, which has published images from Chorão’s personal collection, goes beyond showing only the musical achievements of the star, but also addresses testimonies from friends and family about his personality and the controversies, of which the singer was frequently involved from the beginning of his trajectory until his death, caused by an overdose.

The Father – April 8th

Starring Anthony Hopkins and Olivia Colman, the actors play a conflicted father-daughter relationship. In the film, which was nominated to participate in the Oscar 2021 in the category of “Best film”, Anthony is an elderly man who has lived alone in his apartment for years and does not accept help from any caregiver, until his daughter Anne decides to move away with a man she has just met, not being able to make frequent visits to the father and help him in his routine. It is at this moment that the story of the film begins to unfold, as Anthony begins to have streams of memory, which make him doubt his own identity and also his relationship with his daughter. The proposal of “The Father” is to show a reality lived by many elderly people outside the screens and all the questions suggested to the public make them doubt if the setbacks experienced by Anthony were caused by madness in his mind or it’s just Anne’s plan to get her father out of the apartment.

Nomadland – April 15th

One of the public’s and critics’ favorites for the maximum prize at the 2021 Oscars, this poetic, yet raw picture was directed by the first Chinese woman to be nominated for best director at the Academy Award, Chloé Zhao, and starred by the Oscars best actress winner in 2019 Frances McDormand, is set to touch the spectator’s most intimate feelings. The film follows Fern, a woman in her sixties who, after losing everything – her husband, her job, and even the city she lived in – decides to leave society’s expectations and conventionalities aside, as she explores her new life as a van dwelling modern-day nomad. Through beautiful landscapes, remarkable characters, and reflections about life, capitalism, family, and grief, the movie brings out a powerful and inspiring message to the viewers.

Things Heard And Seen – April 29th

The new Netflix horror thriller is based on the novel “All Things Cease to Appear” by Elizabeth Brundage, Amanda Seyfried and James Norton bring life to the big city couple, Catherine and James Clare. The casting also counts with the Netflix darling Natalia Dyer, famously known for her work in “Stranger Things”. The story follows the young couple as they decide to leave Manhattan and move into a historic home in a small rural town. However, it doesn’t take long for things to unravel. Catherine begins to suspect that the history of their farm conceals a dark secret, but does their marriage have one too? As one obscure secret peels away to reveal others and as their marriage reveals to have sinister darkness that rivals the home’s history, the feature offers a rich and complex portrait of the scars that can haunt a community for generations.

The Mitchells vs The Machines – April 30th

It is not because we are in college that we cannot love children’s comedies. So, stay tuned, because “The Mitchells vs. The Machines” will enter the Netflix catalog. The film is about a family that decides to travel together to take their eldest daughter to visit college. They were committed to enjoying the experience at the most and, therefore, leave their mobiles aside. However, this distance from technology does not last long, because, surreally, all electronic devices come to life and decide to take control. But the Mitchells will come together and, who knows, save the world from this machine revolution. Anyway, if we give it some thought, we are not so far from the events of this film, right?

Without Remorse – April 30th

Based on Tom Clancy’s novel, the film “Without remorse” has, as its initial plot, a Navy officer searching for justice for the murder of his wife, who was also pregnant. The protagonist, called John Kelly, is played by none other than Michael B. Jordan, known for his performance in Marvel’s film “Black Panther”. Throughout John’s journey of revenge, he ends up involved in a big conspiracy, more complicated than he imagined. So, all this troubling story promises to involve the audience in an adventure full of drama and action.

————————————–

The article above was edited by Isabella Gomes.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Giovanna Garcia

Casper Libero '24

Estudante de relações públicas em São Paulo, Brasil. Apaixonada por cultura pop e cinema.
Antonia Oliveira

Casper Libero '24

✨ 18 years ? searching for new experiences