Treat Yo Self Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Case chapter.

February 14th: The day that love is apparently more important than any other day. The day where you find couples acting like this:

People whining about being forever alone:

The cynics swearing off all human contact:

And the single friends all going out together, promising that they aren’t going to hook up with someone that night:

Valentine’s day for those of you that are single or in a long distance relationship doesn’t have to be horrible. Maybe you’re happy to be single. Maybe you just need to go out and do anything except sit alone and mope around, trying to get pity hugs from your suitemates. Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be just couple love. What ever happened to the concept of self-love? You are definitely worth it, even if society tells you otherwise. You need a day where you treat. yo. self.

For those of you who don’t watch Parks and Rec (change that, immediately), Treat Yo Self is a day where you go out and do what you want just because you want to. You are rewarding yourself for being you, and that’s a great thing to be. Still confused? Let me break it down for you.

1. TREAT YO SELF. Let’s eat what we want when we want and as much as we want. Calorie counting? Please, girl. Today is not the day for that. Eat those cupcakes with reckless abandon. Brownies, cake, cookies, pizza, french fries, burgers… Noms for everyone!

2. Jamming out to Taylor Swift and Katy Perry and Ke$ha has never been more relevant. Have a dance party with your suitemates just because you want to! There’s no better feeling than turning up the radio and dancing your worries away. Plus, you have to somehow deal with that sugar rush.

3. Turn that dance party into a potluck! I know, I know, the dorm kitchens are small and kind of crappy; however, it would be fun to put your cooking and/or baking skills to the test and see what your floormates come up with. Play some fun tunes (look up “Hit It” by American Authors -definition of fun) and eat food that isn’t from Fribley or Leutner. It’s okay if you order food instead of actually cooking it, no judgment here. TREAT YO SELF.

*awesome, not awsome. (It bothers me too.)

4. If you have time during the day, go to a pet shelter with some friends. Cuddling with puppies and kittens is a sure fire way to make yourself forget about the silly little problems of life. It’s just a fun, feel good thing to do. There are a few pet stores and shelters in the surrounding Cleveland area, find a friend with a car and go snuggle with a furry friend! 

5. Get active! Go to Veale and release stress through some exercise. This doesn’t have to be just running or going on the elliptical. Shoot some hoops, play raquetball, borrow a soccer ball, throw around a frisbee…anything to get the blood flowing. Even if you’re laughably bad, at least you’re feeling healthy and focusing on the game with friends. A break from the workload of Case Western is a treat in itself.

6. You know what you need? Some hot new clothes. TREAT YO SELF. If you’re not really feeling like going all the way to Beachwood mall, then do some online shopping! Shop with your suitemates and floormates. Picking out a cute new pair of boots or an adorable springtime dress is always fun. On a budget? Trade items from your closet with some of your friends! It still counts as new, don’t worry.

7. Spending some time alone on V-day isn’t necessarily a bad time. Have a dance party by yourself in your room to your guilty pleasure (it’s One Direction, isn’t it?) and bust out those new dance moves. Your mirror is a good judge of dancing skills. In all seriousness, enjoy the time you have away from all the craziness of the world.

[pagebreak]

8. Take the time you have today to have some Me Time. Look up new makeup and nail tips with your friends, or just chill and have girl talk. Girl talk is the definition of treating yo self. Getting all those feelings off of your chest makes you feel so much better.

9. Curl up and read that book you’ve been meaning to get to. Tonight is not the night to study. Read the Divergent series. Reread The Hunger Games series. Make some hot chocolate; make some time for yourself, you deserve it.

10. Go on a date with your best friend. Ain’t nothing wrong with a lady date. Chances are, she gets you better than any romantic interest ever could. You’ll have way more fun with her than some awkward, stilted Valentine’s day date.

11. Stay in and drink some wine. Pop open that bubbly you’ve been saving. Have a classy night, complete with pastries and quality drinks. You could even hit up Coquette’s, it’s delicious and well worth the trip. French pastries and wine? Where do I sign up?

12. Spend today treating yourself with the things that really matter: MORE THINGS!

13. Just kidding. Today is important because it values love. Love is wonderful, regardless of the form it takes. Today doesn’t have to be about romantic love! But if you want it to be something more, what better day is there than today to confess your feelings for that special someone? The worst they can say is no. At least you can say you tried. Release yourself from the what if’s.

14. And hey. If you just feel like today is the worst day ever and you’ll always be alone, don’t lose hope! There is someone out there for you, and when you find him or her, it’ll be one of the greatest things ever. And in the meantime, you’ll definitely be okay. Life isn’t determined by romantic relationships. It’s made up of so much more than that.

Best of luck with everything this week, collegiettes! Valentine’s day is the least of your worries. Just remember to treat yo self!

Jeniece Montellano is a member of the class of 2016 at Case Western Reserve University. She is a chemical biology major (B.A.) and English minor, and plans on becoming a physician assistant. She is a part of Solstice (all-female a cappella group), CWRU's Pre-PA club, CWRU's Filipino Student Union, The Observer (undergraduate newspaper) and a sister of Delta Gamma. In her free time, she tries to maintain her sanity by eating chocolate mindlessly, watching TV and rom-coms, reading books and tweeting about random things. Follow her on Twitter @herroitsjemeow for more musings about life.