5 Nail Polish Shades for Every Occasion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Case chapter.

Finding the perfect nail polish shade can be a struggle.  Sometimes, you just have no idea what polish to wear or when to wear it.  Here are (the only) five nail polish shades you need to get you through the semester.

1. Red

The most classic manicure, red is a staple in any girl’s polish collection.  Bright red looks clean and polished (like OPI’s Coca-Cola Red, above), while deeper hues, like OPI’s I’m Not Really A Waitress, are perfect for date nights.

2. Brights!

For those days you’re feeling fun and vibrant, a flashy mani is the perfect way to add a pop of color to an otherwise plain outfit.  Essie’s Chastity or Play Date (pictured above) are both awesome shades to try out on your whimsical days.

3. Neutrals

Neutral shades close to your skin tone are perfect for a soft, everyday look.  These nails can take you from class to work to the gym (they match everything!) all while looking simple and elegant.  Added bonus: a shade similar to your skin tone will hide chips for days.  Try OPI’s Tickle my Francey or Samoan Sand (pictured above).

4. Bold 

When you want something intense and sophisticated but not too loud, a rich, dark hue is perfect.  Deep splashes of color are perfect during long winter months.  Try Essie’s Little Brown Dress or Wicked (above) for a shade that packs a punch.  

5. Metallics

Sometimes, you just want your nails to look as sparkly as you feel inside.  But let’s face it: glitter isn’t for everyone.  This is where metallics come in.  Shiny and fresh, these polishes give your nails a reflective hue without being over-the-top.  Nails Inc.’s South Kensington (above) and Essie’s Penny Talk are both amazingly glossy.

Anna is a Pre-Law English and Political Science major, minoring in Philosophy and Spanish. In her spare time, Anna enjoys listening to music, keeping up with the latest fashion and beauty trends, and spending time with her pomeranian named Teddy.