This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

Cuffing Season. What is it? Essentially, it’s when it seems like suddenly everyone you know is getting into relationships. It happens around this time of year because it’s the holidays. Soon, your Instagram feed is going to be filled with couple pics of all the fun holiday stuff: Christmas tree lightings, zoo light visits, Thanksgiving table pics, ice skating, all of it. But some people might get really sad during this time, so I’m here to tell you how to avoid the single blues this season.

Related:  So…What is Cuffing Season?

1. Avoid social media

This is usually the answer for those times when you upset, but especially around the holidays when it seems like everyone is doing fun holiday activities with their significant others. Limiting your social media use can lead to you doing other fun holiday activities with your friends and family!

2. Make plans with your friends or family

Holidays are supposed to be about taking time to be grateful for those who make you happy. So, whoever you’re grateful for, make plans with them. Because those fun holiday activities don’t have to be limited to just couples!

3. Be honest with yourself

You can do as much as you want to distract yourself, but remember to reflect on what you want relationship-wise. Sometimes this time of year makes you wish you are in a relationship, but remember what you actually want. It can be easy to feel lonely, but jumping into the first relationship that comes your way should not be a priority.

4. Want a relationship? Go for it.

If you’re actually looking, dating apps are a great option. Sometimes it’s hard to put yourself out there or be set up by your friends all the time, so taking initiative helps you gauge what you’re looking for.

5. Don’t want a relationship? Also good.

Again, if you know what you want, and a relationship right now isn’t it, that’s good. You can take the time to set your sights on the things that make YOU happy – and actually do them!

6. Step out of your comfort zone

Whether you’re looking or not, doing something to step out of your comfort zone is something that can empower you no matter what. For dating, go out with someone you don’t consider your “type” and for non-daters, try something new, like taking a cooking class.

Cuffing season is this wonderfully horrible time of year filled with mixed emotions and random relationships. But whether you’re happily “cuffed,” or happily single, remember to enjoy your holidays!

Ali Jagielo

Carthage '19

Ali is a senior at Carthage College majoring in English with a double minor in Communications and Public Relations. She is originally from Westmont, IL, but wishes to one day live in Chicago. She is a proud member of the Beta Lambda chapter of Chi Omega here at Carthage. When she is not working or in class, she loves to spend her time reading, watching Netflix, or going on adventures with her friends.
Jane Eckles

Carthage '19

Jane graduated from Carthage College in May 2019 with a degree in English and Secondary Education. She is from Merced, California, which is close enough to San Fransisco for her to confirm that the City by the Bay is her absolute favorite. When she's not teaching or writing articles, she can be found collecting any book she can get her hands on, watching Netflix, staring mindlessly into the void, or napping.