you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Cool Summer Jobs You Had No Idea Existed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

Depending on where you live, jobs to do over the summer can either be really limited or really boring. If you live in the Midwest like me, summer jobs are especially limited and boring. While on my own internship/job hunt, I decided to look up fun jobs, because why not? It’s fun to see opportunities that you wouldn’t normally consider, as well as dream and think, “Wow I wish I studied marine biology so I could literally swim with dolphins ALL summer!” Ok, that may not be an easy job, but that’s cool to think about right? So without further ado, here at some awesome summer jobs.

1. Dog Walker

Want to spend literally all summer playing with dogs? You can get paid to do it! There are plenty of people, maybe even in your area, who are too busy to keep up with their dogs all day, so they hire someone to walk them. An added bonus? You’ll get in a good cardio workout with all the walking you’ll be doing! Check out the app Rover, where you can get this summer job started!

2. Bartender

You’ll learn almost anything and everything you can know about alcohol. You can also become the expert bartender among your friends, being the go-to person for drink ideas. Plus, you can learn some sick party tricks that’ll make you the life of the party!

3. Ice cream shop employee

Who doesn’t love ice cream? Almost every town has a local favorite ice cream shop, and I’m sure over the summer they’ll be looking for extra help. With this job, similar to bartending, you can become an expert on all things ice cream. Also… free ice cream? Yes please!

4. Uber or Lyft Driver

This one I’ve actually never considered, mostly because I’m broke and car-less. But if you have a car, and maybe need extra cash, you could become an Uber or Lyft driver. Like most jobs, there are restrictions. To work for Uber, you have to pass a background check, be 21 years of age, and have a car that meets the specific state/city requirements You’d have the chance to meet so many different kinds of people, so if you’re a people person and love talking, this could be a good job for you!

5. Flower shop employee

I absolutely love flowers, and I seriously considered applying to a flower shop in my hometown if all my internships failed me. There’s something about making flower arrangements, organizing a store and helping others make an arrangement that is relaxing and fun to me. If you’re into creating aesthetics and have a good eye for color, this job would be perfect!

Whatever you consider fun, there are so many opportunities you may have never thought of or considered before. I had fun just looking into these kinds of jobs, and as I mentioned before, it can be fun to just imagine what could be.

Rep and body image courtesy of Pexels

Ali Jagielo

Carthage '19

Ali is a senior at Carthage College majoring in English with a double minor in Communications and Public Relations. She is originally from Westmont, IL, but wishes to one day live in Chicago. She is a proud member of the Beta Lambda chapter of Chi Omega here at Carthage. When she is not working or in class, she loves to spend her time reading, watching Netflix, or going on adventures with her friends.