This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

College is rough. You could easily be balancing school work, a campus job, club meetings, and perhaps a college romance. Romance is extremely prominent in our society, and with this relationship culture, it only makes sense that breakups seem to be more prevalent and are affecting people more than ever before. Here are some tips that might help you get over that not-so-special someone!

1. Take some time for yourself

This may seem like an obvious solution, but it’s extremely helpful. It could be going for a walk, exercising, writing, painting or anything in between. You should take the time to focus your energy elsewhere.

2. Distance yourself from the person

This difficult, I know. But this creates a separation which allows your heart to start healing. Sometimes it takes a long time to do this but it’s so worth it. Some social media platforms will even help you do this! Did you know when you change your relationship status on Facebook to “single” it gives you the opportunity to un-tag yourself from all the pictures, un-follow them for 30 days, and remove their posts from your timeline? It’s crazy to think about, but it really does help.

3. Listen to music

There are So. Many. Songs. about breakups and broken hearts. Listening to these will remind you that you’re not alone and everyone goes through this. There are also songs out there that are all about getting over someone and feeling empowered, which will help you get out of your own head. Personally, I enjoy songs like “What Doesn’t Kill You Makes You Stronger” by Kelly Clarkson,“We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together”  by Taylor Swift and “A Little Bit Stronger” by Sara Evans. These songs really helped when I recently went through a hard breakup. I would avoid songs that you shared with the person, especially that one song that only makes you think of them.

4. Have a night out with friends

You have an excuse to get out of the house and, for a few hours, you won’t be as prone to dwell on the past. Supportive friends make you feel better. If it isn’t possible to go out with friends, take a night out for yourself. Go to the movies or even just grocery shopping – anything that lets you get out.

5. Ugly cry it out

Like I said, breakups are difficult. But crying it out can help you heal. Like any emotion, keeping it in isn’t healthy. So whether you’re with your best friend crying your eyes out, or just by yourself, just let it all out.

6. Get yourself a makeover

I’m not saying go and make a drastic change, but breakup hair is real. You can splurge on that shirt you always wanted or maybe those boots that caught your eye last week. You have to do something for yourself and what’s a better way to start boosting your confidence than with a new look?

7. Take time to be single

I’m repeating my first point because it’s important. There’s nothing wrong with getting into another relationship after a breakup, but taking time to find yourself helps. You’ll find things out about yourself you might not have realized before. During your time being single, you’re able to focus on what you want and what makes you happy. You don’t have to worry about pleasing a partner’s needs.

These seven tips may help when recovering from your broken heart. Just know that over time things will get better. Remember that you’re not alone through this. Focus on yourself and keep pushing forward. You got this!

Courtney Boeder

Carthage '22

Courtney Boeder is a freshman at Carthage College. She is an elementary education major with a minor in urban education. She is originally from Watertown, WI. While she isn't hanging out with friends, she is either snacking or watching Netflix.