This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

College is great. You meet new people, join new clubs and you finally feel like you have independence. But sometimes, you can really miss your mom’s cooking. It’s normal to feel homesick, counting down the days until you have a free weekend or holiday. In the meantime, here are 5 ways to cure homesickness, when making it home for the week just isn’t an option.

1. Call your parents

Sometimes you just need to talk to your mom or dad. Whether it’s just to say hi, catch up, or to ask simple questions, calling your parents is something that can cheer you up. You know they’ve been itching to hear from you too, so when you have free time (or let’s be real, when you’re procrastinating homework) give them a call!

2. Text your friends

Although you can do a lot more than text (like call or FaceTime), reaching out to an old friend from home can brighten up your day. It can be as simple as sending them a meme or a tweet that reminds you of them. Not only do you feel better reaching out, but your friend definitely misses you just as much so you’ll make their day too!

Related: 4 Ways to Keep in Touch with Out-of-State Family

3. Take out some comfort items

You and I both know that you definitely brought some things from home that you know you couldn’t part with (for me, it was a handful of my all-time favorite books). Bringing out those comforting things that remind you of home can give you that sense of calmness and relaxation that you most definitely need.

4. Talk to someone

Depending on how homesick you feel, reaching out to someone and talking helps a lot of people. Whether it’s a close friend or a school counselor, talking it out is always better than keeping it in.

5. Explore

Going for a walk and familiarizing yourself with your new surroundings is a great way to make yourself feel more at home! Staying in a new space can be daunting, but becoming accustomed to the area around you can quickly make your school go from huge and scary to familiar and comfortable.

No matter how long you’ve been away from home, homesickness can hit you at any time. And remember, learning how to cope with your feelings is not an immediate and quick process but it can help you move on to the new chapter in your life.

Ali Jagielo

Carthage '19

Ali is a senior at Carthage College majoring in English with a double minor in Communications and Public Relations. She is originally from Westmont, IL, but wishes to one day live in Chicago. She is a proud member of the Beta Lambda chapter of Chi Omega here at Carthage. When she is not working or in class, she loves to spend her time reading, watching Netflix, or going on adventures with her friends.
Jane Eckles

Carthage '19

Jane graduated from Carthage College in May 2019 with a degree in English and Secondary Education. She is from Merced, California, which is close enough to San Fransisco for her to confirm that the City by the Bay is her absolute favorite. When she's not teaching or writing articles, she can be found collecting any book she can get her hands on, watching Netflix, staring mindlessly into the void, or napping.