This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

February 14th, also known as Valentine’s Day, is a day for celebrating love. It’s an amazing feeling…but so is curling up on the couch with a bowl of popcorn. So whether or not you have big plans for the big day, here are some of the best movies to watch this February 14th.

The Notebook

Look, I know what you’re probably thinking. And yes, this movie is a bit sad. But think of it this way: this Nicholas Sparks adaptation serves to remind us that the timing of a relationship isn’t always right, but true love knows no bounds and will always find a place in your life.

How to Be Single

Maybe sad sappy movies aren’t for you. So with that in mind, I’d recommend this 2016 light-hearted rom-com starring Rebel Wilson (and friends). This movie shows you that being single is a great time to celebrate you! You truly have the time to find who you are and how to be the best version of your independent self.

The Fault in Our Stars

This emotional book-to-movie is a must this Valentine’s Day. Although it begins to capture the heartache and pain of being in love with someone with cancer, it shows that young love is still possible.

I Feel Pretty

The vast majority of people feel self-conscious about some part of themselves. This movie points out that the only thing you need is an attitude change to love yourself. You’re wonderful! Embrace it.

10 Things I Hate About You

Based on a Shakespearean classic, this movie reminds us that young love can be tough and sometimes crazy. Yet ultimately, it reminds us that everyone deserves and can be loved.

Enjoy!

Carthage Says

Carthage '19

Written by Carthage students for Carthage students.
Jane Eckles

Carthage '19

Jane graduated from Carthage College in May 2019 with a degree in English and Secondary Education. She is from Merced, California, which is close enough to San Fransisco for her to confirm that the City by the Bay is her absolute favorite. When she's not teaching or writing articles, she can be found collecting any book she can get her hands on, watching Netflix, staring mindlessly into the void, or napping.