jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

13 Small Ways To Make Your SO Feel Loved

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

It’s easy to tell your SO “I love you,” but sometimes actions speak louder than words. You don’t have to do anything big to make your SO feel loved, and you don’t have to spend any money. The smallest things can make them feel special.

1. Tell them the reasons why

Make a list of reasons why you love your SO and give it to them. This will make them feel special and understand the meaning behind your words when you tell them “I love you.” If you’re feeling crafty, you can write each reason on a popsicle stick or a rolled up piece of paper and put them in a mason jar so they can save each reason for a rainy day.

2. Kiss them on their cheek

Show affection towards your SO by smothering them with kisses on the cheek. Not only will this make them feel loved, but it will also make them smile.

3. Take photos of them for fun and hype them up

Everyone needs a reminder that they are beautiful and there is no one better to give this reminder than you! Randomly take pictures of them to let them know how beautiful you think they are. This is also a great way to document memories in the making!

4. Cook for them

Whether it’s a five-course meal or their favorite dessert, show your SO what you can do in the kitchen. Food is a way to anyone’s heart, especially if it’s their favorite.

5. Check in with them

Ask them questions like “Are you doing okay?” or “How are you feeling?” Even if your SO seems fine and appears to be doing great, just send a text to check in. This will show how much you care about them and their emotional well-being.

6. Text them in the middle of the day

Send your SO a message in the middle of the day to let them know you are thinking of them. Especially if you don’t have anything planned for that evening, because it’s a great way to show that you’re not ignoring each other.  

7. Buy their favorite candy/snack

Showing up with their favorite treats in hand will be a nice surprise and it will show them that you pay attention to the little things.

8. Make a playlist dedicated to them

It’s the modern version of making them a mixtape. Make a playlist of all their favorite songs, so they’re all in one place. Not only will they enjoy the music, but they’ll be impressed with how well you know their taste in music.

9. Thank them for being in your life

Remind your SO how much you appreciate them for being in your life and how their presence impacts your life in a positive way.

10. Ask them about their day and actually listen

Listen to your SO as they spill all the tea about their day. Look them in the eyes and show them that they have your undivided attention.

11. Send them a Good Morning/Good Night text

There’s nothing better than waking up to a text from that special person or receiving a text from them before you go to sleep. Hearing from your SO first thing in the morning or before you go to sleep will allow them to either start their day off on a good note or let you be the last thing they think about before they go to sleep.

12. Send them memes

Laughter is good for the soul. Give your SO a little pick-me-up in the middle of the day by sending them a meme that you think they would enjoy.

13. Call/FaceTime them

Let’s take it back to the days when people used to actually talk on the phone. Call them, or if you want to be more modern, video chat with them. If they don’t answer their phone, leave a nice voicemail to let them know you were thinking of them and wanted to hear their voice.

Nateya is a junior at Carthage College majoring in Criminal Justice with a minor in Spanish from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. In her free time she enjoys reading, and writing articles for her own personal blog.