YouTube Themed Playlists to Spark Your Creativity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

I’m not entirely sure when themed playlists became a big thing on YouTube but it was around the end of 2020 to the beginning of 2021. My first introduction to them was when I was looking for music to draw to in my grade 12 virtual art class.

That’s when one playlist popped up with a title that attracted my attention: “you’re following the mysterious student who is sneaking out of the dormitories (dark academia)” made by oliviaalee on YouTube. I’ve never been one to shy away from the dark academia aesthetic, so I listened to it. From then ’til I graduated in 2021, it was my go-to playlist for studying and drawing. 

Since then, I’ve become aware of other themed playlists. Some are based on POV (point of view); some are based on your comfort character (although sometimes you can’t find them for lesser known or less popular comfort characters); some are about aesthetics; and others on your emotions (and, yes, some are NSFW!). 

I have listened to many different kinds, but something that the playlists are helpful for –– other than something to listen to while on your computer –– is reading fan-fiction or imagining scenarios in your head.

I along with friends who write have found that they are helpful for writers. This includes any kind of writing, whether that be fanfiction or original work (like a short story or a novel).

For example, I was writing a short story about a woman who could travel to different worlds. In one world, she became the queen of her land and she had to protect her people, even though she was terrified. To get myself in the headspace of that queen, I listened to a playlist called, “you’re the queen who is facing a war | a playlist” made by valerie and “it’s time to take back your throne | war storm playlist” made by lolita judith. They both got my creative juices flowing!

Usually, when I’m writing something set in a different time period, I would listen to music from the time period. But with themed playlists, if it’s a fantasy world or it’s set in the future or if my characters are starting a revolution, I now have a music base that can immerse me in the world I am writing in. 

Plus, if you’re a writer or someone who wants to write and doesn’t know where to start, I’ve seen how they can also help you. In the comments of some playlists, you will find people who have posted mini stories based on what they felt while listening to the music in the playlist. A playlist I listen to frequently is “yes, I am” | a powerful playlist by karssi and in the comment section, someone has written a little short story of only 100 words about a princess coming back to take back her kingdom. It has 1.1k likes as of this month!

Here are some more playlists that have helped me while writing and may help you too:

“she just wants revenge // a dramatic villain playlist” by Marley Hotchner

“the evil begins to rise in you (a villain playlist + story)” by the playlists

“this playlist will make you feel like a bond girl” by lolita judith 

“The badass anti hero playlist” by Rebel 

“playlist for when you need an escape from reality (part 2)” by lolita judith 

“I think I’ll sit and watch as you go down (a villain playlist)” by raviolae 

“be careful darling; the devil has a pretty face | a female villain playlist” by darlynn

I hope you enjoy these themed playlists! Do you have one I should listen to? Let me know!

Dahra Gillen

Carleton '25

Dahra Gillen is a third-year journalism student minoring in disability studies. She has ten food allergies, dairy, peanuts, tree-nuts, eggs, oats, mustard, kiwi, pineapple, chia and penicillin. In her free time she enjoys creative writing, reading and music.