Winter date ideas perfect for Carleton students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

I’ve always preferred the summertime over all other seasons since it’s when I can go anywhere without adding an extra 50 pounds of clothing for warmth. When Ottawa winter hits, I tend to go into hibernation mode. And my partner and I have started spending most days indoors, watching tv, only braving the cold for essential trips.

I don’t know if I’ll ever be as excited for the wintertime as I am for the rest of the seasons, but I definitely don’t want to fear or resent it as much as I do now. So, I’ve been thinking of better ways to make the winter not only more bearable, but enjoyable.

I’ve come up with a few ideas for us to get out there in this snowy season, and they’re perfect for couples to keep things fresh, but you can also do these things solo or with friends. And if you’re a student like me, I’ve included several things to do on or near Carleton’s campus!

Start the day by treating yourselves

Have a special breakfast once a week by making waffles, having bacon, or even going out to get something out of the ordinary. On campus, I love going to Bridgehead to get a peppermint mocha and a ham and cheese croissant. It starts the day off with a really cozy vibe.

Explore nature

Embrace bundling up like a marshmallow and take a walk with your partner to see some beautiful scenery. There are a couple of sights near Carleton that I suggest, like the Dominion Arboretum Park or Rideau River.

And close to Carleton, there is also the Dunbar Bridge, which is covered in graffiti from local Ottawa artists. On your walk, you can get good fresh air, take scenic photographs, and just enjoy each other’s company. And even though we’re technically considered adults now, you’re never too old to make snow angels or build a snowman. 

If you’re looking for options off campus, I suggest picking a nice neighbourhood (Hintonburg is a great choice) to explore. There are tons of unique neighbourhoods around Ottawa where you can admire the houses, the Christmas lights that are still up and try out some of the unique shops. Also, if you’re willing to drive, there’s always Gatineau park. And when you’re done with being outside, you can end the day by getting into your pyjamas and making hot chocolate.

Take up a winter hobby together

Find an activity that has you looking forward to the wintertime. There is always ice skating on the Rideau Canal, which you have close access to at Carleton. And while you’re skating, you can stop to grab a snack at the Beavertails stops that are always nearby (personally, I prefer the ones covered in chocolate!).

And there is skiing or snowboarding. There are a bunch of great resorts near Ottawa, and I’ve heard good things about both Camp Fortune (a 35-to-40-minute drive from Ottawa), and Mont Tremblant (about an hour’s drive from Ottawa). These two are my top picks to try for when I get out there on the slopes!

Go out for dinner and drinks

It always feels special to get a little dressed up and get yourselves a fancy dinner. If you’re looking for more of a pub vibe, then try out Ollie’s on campus. They have Thirsty Thursdays, and they host special events on the regular, like karaoke nights, y2k nights, etc.

Stay in for a special night

If you’re really, really not feeling like going out but want to shake things up for a night, pick a meal that’s more difficult to make but you’ve always wanted to try and attempt to cook it. Then once you’ve enjoyed your delicious dinner, you can take a relaxing bath together while you’re reading or watching your current fav TV show.

These are some ideas that I personally have on my to-do list this winter. I hope they can inspire you to get out there and enjoy this season, even if it’s not your favourite. I suggest picking something to do once a week or every second week, just to make sure you’re spending time connecting with your partner, your friends, or yourself. As much as this weather can get me down to the point where I isolate and let the days pass me by, it’s important to sometimes help myself push past that. It always boosts my mood!

Josee Renaud

Carleton '24

Josee is a 4th year Psychology student at Carleton. Her degree specializes in the cognitive and psychological development of children and how our behaviour and thoughts are shaped well into adulthood. Aside from her studies, she enjoys writing and getting involved in mental health events/committees at Carleton. She is passionate about being fit, showering her kitty with love, and is a little too obsessed with animal crossing!