What is Winter Without the Comfort of Tea?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

By Nicole Jardim

Now that the winter season is upon us, and the temperature just seems to keep spiralling downwards, life away from home and at school can seem unruly and cold. So how can we keep ourselves warm, satisfied and feeling great? Well it might not be a vacation but it’s the next best thing: Tea.

via Tumblr

Tea has always been a great way to warm up on a cold winter day, and let’s be real; it has amazing benefits for your health, not to mention the massive variety of tasty choices. Choosing a tea that suits your mood and your taste buds, however, can be tricky, especially if you are new to the tea lingo and flavours. This article will explore a wide range of teas with descriptions that will make it easier for you to choose which ones fit your lifestyle.

To begin, there are six general types of teas that can be further broken up into smaller categories, however once you are familiar with the taste and aromas of the six general types, it becomes WAY easier to recognize which specific teas you will love!

The first of type of tea is Black Tea which is rich and full of flavour, perfect for those who like their tea strong. When brewed black tea has an amber colour.  Earl Grey, Chai and English Breakfast are the three most common black teas, however there is a large array. With black tea, milk and sugar can be are a good addition as well, depending on your taste!Preparation: 100°C / 212°F and steep 4 minutes

The second type of tea is Green Tea, probably the most famous today because of its amazing health benefits (it’s loaded with antioxidants and nutrients) and the large amount of publicity regarding it weight loss properties. Green Tea has a very delicate and refreshing taste with a green tint when poured. The most famous examples would be Matcha, Jasmine and Dragon Well.Preparation: 80°C / 185°F and steep 1-3 minutes

The third type is Oolong Tea, which can be translated into “Black Dragon”. If the translation doesn’t make you want it, its extreme flavour and strong aroma will have you grabbing for another mug. Oolong tea combines the taste and colour qualities of black and green tea, so if you like either green or black tea, you will love Oolong Tea. Examples of Oolong tea are Black Dragon, and Formosa Oolong. Preparation: 80°C / 185°F and steep 2-3 minutes

The Fourth type of tea is White Tea which is also a tea that is widely popular because of its sweetness. White tea varies slightly from the rest as it is made up entirely out of leaf buds rather than the leafs themselves or rather the stems, which in turn is why the tea turns out to be so light. White tea is perfect for people who like a more mild flavour but still want the natural sweetness.Preparation: 80°C / 185°F and steep 2-5 minutes

The fifth is my all-time favourite, Herbal Tea. Herbal Tea is the most different from the teas previously mentioned. Herbal tea is the only non-caffeinated tea (there are exceptions if you buy non- organic teas/brand name teas from your local supermarket which alter the teas), consisting of leaves, roots, bark, seeds or flowers. These teas are the best for night time as the give a calming and soothing aroma.Preparation: 100°C / 212°F and steep 3-6 minutes

The final and sixth type of tea is Roobios. Roobios is known for the red tint it exudes in water. Its flavour can be identified as nutty and sweet making it adored by people who love a little milk in their tea.Preparation: 80°C / 185°F and steep 2-3 minutes

My picks:

I personally love herbal teas because they keep me centred and focused, and with a well-balanced diet as well as exercise herbal teas can help maintain your figure.Peppermint tea, hands down is my favourite, it tastes amazing without sugar or milk while also helping my sleeping patterns (I was first introduced to this addiction from Tim Horton’s peppermint tea on campus).Another one of my favourite teas is Vanilla which is in the Roobios category. I usually add a hint of agave nectar and almond milk to finish it off, and I kid you not, it is the smoothest and most delicious out there.

I hope after reading this article you feel a little bit more comfortable choosing a flavour out of the hundreds that exist (have you been to a David’s Tea?!). Remember, don’t be afraid to ask a sales associate if you get confused on which one you think you’ll like, a lot of tea stores will offer samples which is a great way to decide what you like or don’t like. Once you start finding ones that you love, you’ll find the sweetest remedy for this icy cold Canadian winter.

via Tumblr

Sources:

http://www.teavana.com/tea-info/rooibos-tea

http://www.tea.ca/about-tea/tea-types/