This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

When you know the right indie songs to listen to, they can be bops and change your entire life. My favourite genre of music is indie and for me, it can make you feel like you want to dance and chill all at once. With artists like The Kooks, Arctic Monkeys, The Vaccines and so much more, you’re in for the ride of your life. 

Here is my ultimate go-to playlist when it comes to indie music: 

Sit Next to Me by Foster the People

Forgot about Foster the People? They have more songs then just Pumped Up Kicks! This song makes you want to run, jump, dance and every other action known to human-kind. It’s just right. 

Cigarette Daydreams by Cage the Elephant

Cigarette Daydreams is a slow, acoustic song about young love. I would suggest listening to this beautiful track laying on the floor or in bed, with headphones on and your eyes closed. Get lost in the song. 

Atlas Hands by Benjamin Francis Leftwitch

Take youserlf on a journey with Ben. His song Atlas Hands is about finding what you want to do for the rest of your life. For those confused about any major life decisions, you can resonate with this song. It’s also slow, so it’s great for when you’re in deep thought. 

Please Let Me Get What I Want by The Smiths

The Smiths have always been indie music icons, featured in many iconic films, such as 500 Days of Summer (2009). Listening to The Smiths always puts me in a good mood. Anytime you’re feeling down, The Smiths will probably/most definitely turn that frown upside down. 

Bad Habit by The Kooks

Bad Habit is one of those songs you can’t help but dance your ass off too and feel like a badass doing it. It’s mix of rock and indie is sure to give you that burst of energy this midterm season that we all know you need. 

Simple as This by Jake Bugg

Cute and happy and fun and every bubbly emotion you can think of, Simple as This is that walking-around-carelesly-with-a-stupid-smile-on-your-face song. It’s about finding that simple love and the feelings associated with it. If you’re filed under hopeless romantic, Jake Bugg has got you with this song. 

This is the Life by Two Door Cinema Club

A mix of techno and indie style, any song by Two Door Cinema Club is going to make you move. You can’t resist: it’s like a drug, you will get addicted (in a good way). 

Wetsuit by The Vaccines

Wetsuit is about growing up in the best way possible: by the beach, in a wetsuit and gettin’ dirty (literally). The Vaccines have many great and slow songs you can listen to while relaxing and taking that well-deserved study or life break. 

Fireside by Arctic Monkeys

Okay c’mon. Alex Turner. Arctic Monkeys. Do I really need to say anymore than that? I have never, not once, heard anyone say they didn’t like Arctic Monkeys. Fireside is a slow, but still upbeat song, that I have no doubt will make you sing your heart out. 

These songs are made for the ultimate indie and indie rock lover. If you were struggling like me to the perfect indie playlist together, then look no further. Just listen, relax and fall into (what I think is) an indie playlist to end all indie playlists. 

Mariam was President at Her Campus Carleton circa 19/20. She's a puppy lover and strives to be Mindy Kaling one day. Hopefully in five years you can find her working on the next most popular true crime series. Bachelor of Journalism '20 - Carleton University